Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
found limoge plates at yard sale

Posted by livvyandbella (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 07 at 8:10

I found 4 lovely large limoge plates at yard sale yesterday. I wish I had a camera here to take picture, next week. Hard for me to explain. Bordered in gold, with a lovely color blue. They have scenes on them, women, cherubs. I haven't measured, but I would say about 14 inches. I really liked the color.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: found limoge plates at yard sale

Oh, it sounds really wonderful-- all the bells and whistles I rather love on decorative plates! (Cherubs, rich color, etc.)

I wonder if they're the American company that called itself Limoges, or it's French Limoges.

Either way-- congrats on your great yard sale find!
-Jenn

Here is a link that might be useful: My crafting/thrifting/vintage decorating blog

o

Hi Jenn,
I just love your site, your home. All lovely.
I don't know if plates are French or American. I just know I do love them. The color, the cherubs. Is their a way I can tell if they are French or American?
Barb

o

Jenn,
Forgot to mention...I love your portrait plates. I have 4, but never find them. What is the history on portrait plates? They are lovely.
Barb

o

Hi, Barb!-
Thanks for the kind words.:-)

Is there a mark on the back of the plates? I'm guessing there might be if you know it's Limoges.

If you can describe what the mark looks like, I'd be glad to look up the mark in my American Whiteware book this evening and see if it's the American Limoges company or not.

Regarding the portrait plates, the Victorians were really fond of decoration, so the portrait plates were just like a lot of other decorative plates they had at the time, which were intended for cabinet display only.

The Victorians loved putting images of beautiful ladies on, well, everything. So things up until about 1915-1920 had these dramatic art nouveau women on them, or historical figures. Postcards... the covers of popular novels, etc.

It's a fun time period. The art involved can be terrific. :-)

It sounds like you have a find!
-Jenn

o

Hi Jenn,
I have sent you a separate email
also. On the back, in green, are the letters LG. On top of it says porcelaine.

Underneath, not quite sure, C? Limoges-D?ec. a la main.

Thank you for your help.
Barb

o

Hi, Barb-
I responded to your email yesterday. Let me know if it didn't come through.

Based on what you wrote above, it sounds like it probably is French Limoges.

Have a good one!
-Jenn

o

Last spring, I got 44 pieces of Haviland Limoges at a yard sale for $3.00! I got there late in the AM, so many people had seen these dishes before I got to them. I got assorted plates, fruit dishes, 1 cup which looked like paint had been mixed in it and 22 saucers. The # of saucers tells me that there was once service for 24. I felt so sad as I realized that these were no doubt someone's grandma's dishes. I wrote to Replacements and identified the pattern. I think I'd like to put together enough of these dishes mixed with white ones to have a small luncheon. They are the most beautiful pattern. I guess that grandma can stop rolling in her grave now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here