Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old window and photos

Posted by mush (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 27, 06 at 23:58

I just got an old three paned window today. I want to place some old family photos behind the glass panes and hang on the wall. How can I fix the photos to the backside of the glass without it showing?
Your ideas are much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old window and photos

Great idea. Do just as those family photo picture holders at Walmart, you know, the ones with the different size cutouts for the pics. Get one of those and cut it to the size your need, you can double side tape your pics to it, then, as in a regular pic you hang on the wall, place a thin piece of cardboard on top of it all and use a strong tape (duct tape) and tape it to the back of the window panes. Or, make your own using card stock paper. Check out the craft stores. If you want "space" between the pics without a backing, there is this stuff, don't know what it's called, that is like a rubberized sticky thing. The only way I can explain it is, sometimes you get a free sample of something in the mail (in an envelope) and there is the little packet stuck to the ltr or whatever and when you pull the packet off, it's like this clear sticky gluey stuff. Sorry for the lousey explanation.

Sal

o

How about attaching them by using the old type photo corners and some clear glue?

o

hi
you can buy just the matting allready cut, in photo sections
at the stores. I have a lot of it from g.s.,s, measure the window,measure the picture, if they are the same just use a narrow border if to small use a bigger one you can paint the border to match the frame and tape it from behind so it does not show .
there is a resturant here that is full of pics in windows and various other things and they are all done like this.
hope we get to see it . I need to do this also. Rick

o

great ideas everyone. There are also little square foam squares the scrap bookers use to hold something out and away from the frame. It would kind of look like they were floating? Its sticky on both sides so with a mat it would look good,I think.

o

I just did one...beautiful... :) Anyway...this is what we did so it can be ever changing should we want it to be.....my hubby cut a piece of backing from thin stock he had that was slightly bigger than the glass but did not extend past the wooden frame. We attached it with mirrow clips so it will come easily off and one and then painted it black on the inside....then you don't have to worry about pictures solidly on it, you can let randome black areas show through for effect..quite stunning. I think you could also do this with black foam posterboard if you did not want to mess with woodbacking..but beware it will easily bend and the black is not quite as rich as the paint it..but would still work. Either way, you can then "scrapbook" as usual..however you usually attach your pictures...glue stick, glue tabs, adhesive machine...whatever your usual method will work with this... A added bonues is also the look it gives when the pictures are behind the glass with depth between the glass and pictures rather than ON the glass..nice depth. One more thing tho..I did paint the inside lip or the glazing lip of the window the same black as the backer board so it was a smooth transition. It nicely frames everything.

o

I would love to see a photo when your done....I saw this one and thought it was adorable....

o

I wanted to do the same thing, but wanted to attach the photos directly to the glass in order to have the "border" between the photo and the frame be the wall. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?
Thanks!

o

You could make a color photocopy of your photos then decoupage them to your window using elmers glue or a special decoupage under glass medium. Make sure the glue isn't old and look at some "decoupage under glass" instructions on the web. Gluing "under glass" is a bit tricky because air bubbles often occur and they make a shiny mark when the piece is dry.
I recommend a compromise of "matting" the photo onto a piece of good quality card stock that won't fade. Have it be just a thin border around your pics. Glue just the border to the glass. If you end up with a few shineys in the border it won't matter, but one on the face of a person would be a bummer! Naturally make sure your glass is squeeky clean and dry. If you don't like how it turns out, let it sit for a few days then look again. Chances are any imperfections won't seem such a big deal.
Last step: post a pic here so we can see!
Good luck and have fun. I love the idea of the pics floating and the wall showing through.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here