Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wonder horse tail?

Posted by nanaofive (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 08 at 23:05

Does anyone have any ideas for making a replacement tail for a Wonder type spring horse? The original one was made of some type of yarn?, I think. I am trying to make a carousel horse. My sister has made 16 of them and hers are beautiful! I would like the tail, mane and hoofs to match so I thought there must be some way to make one look nice. I prefer to recycle and reuse things rather than buy new. So, if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear about them and if anyone has made a corausel horse I'd love to see pictures or a link to one! Have a great evening! TIA, Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wonder horse tail?

there must be something to recycle ..I will think on it. But how about a nice fluffy cotton rag mop...Dollar General has some, anywhere from $1 to $5. It'd be a perfect tail, the mane you may have to trim some. And you could probably spray some liquid dye on it to color it to match if you're going pastel colored.My DH buys craft paint in a spray bottle that's permanent, to keep making his beret look like new:) LOL..it's about $4 a bottle at Michaels.... Add a few strands of glittery yarn,too,in the mane and tail :) I've never made any with a yarn type tail,all mine were molded plastic...so it was all painted with a crackle finish,and I don't think I have a photo,but I'll look. maybe you could braid the mane and tail,too,with some flowers and glittery yarn in it......How does your sister make hers? She probably has the best ideas...Good Luck,Nancy

Cherry

o

Macrame cord came in all sizes,probably get some at TS or your craft room. Home Depot probably has some ropes, if it wil be outside might want something little more weatherproof. Jute would work but lot of people are allergic to it. Jan

o

Nancy, I lurk here often and rarely post, but since I am planning to do a Wonder Pony myself, I thought I'd share this with you. I saw these and saved the photo to my files, tho I am going to my own pony with a MOHAIR mane and tail for more realistic look. This person used 'pearlized' paint looks like on the ponies, and then the feather boas you can get at Hobby Lobby (or Michaels ?) in many colors.

Carousel  Wonder Ponys

Karen

o

I gotta say...wow! I've never seen the feather boas on those before,and I used to make and sell these........makes me wanna make them again! :) You can still find these on the curb all the time..

o

Nancy, if you have any extra yarn, twine or cording you could unravel it for a curly tail.
~Becky <><

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here