Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I've been wanting to do this for years

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 22:33

-- spend a whole winter making TtoT yard stuff and garden junk ( my favorite forum) and have a big sale next spring.
What's stopping me ,you ask ? Probably just my insecurities ! I live on the main street in my city - I could sell a dead skunk with just a sign ~ ~ people stop for anything ! LOL I've made a list of a bunch of original stuff I'd love to make & sell ... especially trash turned into treasure items. . My problem is , I can't figure out how to set my sale apart from Rummage Sales.
To make sure I follow through with this - I've set a goal . Near my birthday - the end of June. ( What could be a better celebration ! ) Now I HAVE TO DO IT. I have my mind made up . Do you have any suggestions on how I can make this seperate from a rummage sale ? A specific advertising
gimmick ....? Hopefully ,working during winter - by spring I should have a ton of stuff ! I'd love any advice you can give me ......... thank you all !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I've been wanting to do this for years

This may be far fetched but how about offering discounts for those that bring items you can use in your craft?
Even if they don't have them with them, you could arrange for delivery or pick up and give them a coupon?

o

I've seen "Y-art Sales" advertised...tell them you have HandMade Christmas gifts, and to shop early for the best deals...make a really cute sign!
I'd mention the prices (say, crafts from $5 to $50)
Love your idea, TexasFern...hmmm...my brain is humming...lol!
kudzu

o

I did give out coupons once ! I was doing a craft fair .... everyone who bought something got a printed coupon in their bag -- telling the next fair I'd be at - the time & date & also telling them they'd get 20% off one item Most people just couldn't believe the great offer - alot of them came back and bought more than one thing. I love the coupon idea . It works !!

o

Could you get together a group of 'sellers' and have an open house for 1-2 nights where people could buy for Christmas? I've seen a sale where someone would open up their house the week of Thnksgiving/first week of December. Different sellers were set up in various rooms in the house. Only the person running the open house would sell hand crafted items. The other sellers were the home business type that sold things like AVON, Tupperware, Pampered Chef, candles, etc. There may have been a little overlap, but for the most part the sellers sold different items. Postcard invites were sent out in advance by the sellers from their list of contacts. Everyone wa invited to bring a friend. My understanding is the sellers did very well.

o

I love the idea of discounts for more trash for future treasures! Cool!

o

I would call it an artist sale. You are an artist. But leave out the dead skunk.

o

LOL @ marti8a ..... I definately will leave the skunk out of the sale !

You have to go read my updated post at the Garden Junk Web ...... it's an unreal coincidence !!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden junk post ---

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here