Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Railroad Box Numbers

Posted by Des_Arc_Ya_Ya (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 05 at 22:33

Think I had mentioned these before on this forum. Finally got a photo of them. The numbers were on the side of an old railroad switch box. Strangely enough, 29 is my "lucky" number and I was born in "50"!

Image hosted by TinyPic.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Railroad Box Numbers

That it really neat. And to think the numbers where just for you. Did you have the numbers framed? My grandpa used to work for the railroad. What a great find.
Cheri

o

Very cool Ya Ya!! I love the old chippy stuff, so this is right up my alley!

o

Nope, didn't have them framed. DH and I did them. I had a (get this!) plastic frame that was just the right size. DH took a thin sheet of plywood and reinforced the back so it would be substantial enough to hold the numbers. (They're heavy!)

The frame isn't nearly as shiny as it looks in the photo, by the way.

The old chippy that I love about them doesn't show nearly enough in the picture. The "patina" (gotta quit watching HGTV!) on them is wonderful and different on each one of them!

o

Nice job! Love the way it looks.

o

Those must be old - DH is a railroad engineer & he said now a days - they are all stencilled on. Lucky you - what a find !!!

o

Thanks for all the nice comments. They are really one of my favorite things in my house!! The salvage yard where I got them has since closed down. (DH said it was because I bought everything and closed them down!) I used to buy things there by the pound and I bought them on a day that I had a TRUNK full of stuff and it was, like $12.00 for all of it. So, the extra $5.00 that I gave the guy to take them off made them still a bargain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here