Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is It? (photo)

Posted by Des_Arc_Ya_Ya (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 05 at 22:24

and...more importantly, what can I make out of it!? LOL

I got it at the salvage yard. The "handle" on it is wooden and can be moved to the "up" position. The platform part of it looks like the treadle part of an old sewing machine but I don't know what the wooden part is.

Anybody know?

Image hosted by TinyPic.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is It? (photo)

I saw your post at the Kt but can't post there.I was hoping you would post here.LOL It's the treadle from an old sewing machine.I think someone must have just added that wood part for some reason or other.Looks just like the treadle on my grandmother's old Singer that is sitting in my living room! AS for what to do with it,I have no idea.LOL All I can think of off the top of my head is maybe a muddy shoe scraper???.........Lillie

o

Well, now, Lillie, that AIN'T a bad idea! LOL I'm gonna go back and look at it again in a minute. The metal part of it DOES look like sewing machine treadle, but the handle and the metal part that the handle is affixed to just threw me!

Thanks for your input.

o

I agree...sewing machine treadle.

o

It's a sewing machine treadle
Carolyn

o

I found this picture of a Singer treadle machine. It's kinda hard to see but the part where the wooden handle is attached to your treadle is where a rod that turns the wheel of the machine is normally attached. I think it always helps to have a visual! LOL...........Lillie

Here is a link that might be useful: Treadle sewing machine

o

Yes, yes, a sewing machine treadle.
Actually, when I first saw the pic I thought 'shoe scraper'. But it's just too darned pretty!! Maybe you can take that wooden handle off, fix the treadle to your kitchen wall, and attach some hooks to it to hang pots or old kitchen utensils. Or you can hang it on an outside wall and hang pots of pretty annuals.
You found a great item!
Cait

o

The first thing I thought of was taking the wood off, building a table frame and using it as a small patio table.

o

I have the whole base to one of these treadle sewing machines (treasure found on FreeCycle)... complete with the wooden piece! LOL No top. I assumed it was the arm that attaches to the gears on the sewing machine. The treadle has to attach to the machine somehow! LOL I was surprised mine was wood as well.

I hope to add a unique top piece to make it into a table someday.

Joyce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here