Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clamp lamp: clamp missing - how to make it stand up?!

Posted by wildmonster (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 05 at 21:27

Hello, Im not sure if this is the correct forum for my question, but I really hope someone can show me how to attach a clamp-on swing-arm gooseneck lamp to my desk WITHOUT the clamp (which I lost in a recent move).

I called the manufacturer, but they told me that this model is not made anymore, and there is no similar model. It is like one of those task / computer lamps. It uses 13 watt fluorescent light. Its not an expensive lamp, but I really like it and its such a shame to throw it away a perfectly good lamp. But how can I make it "stand up"!!

Many thanks for any suggestions and advice!

Carmen

Here is a link that might be useful: pic and spec of the lamp from old website

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clamp lamp: clamp missing - how to make it stand up?!

Trust me, I am the LAST person to answer this question. I am NOT mechanical! LOL My first thought was to try and find an old lamp like yours (or similar) and take the clamp off of it to replace yours.

Good luck - hope somebody has some more technical advice for you! LOL

o

I took a jumbo binder clip...the black ones with the silvery metal "handles". Clipped it on the desk, flattened the handles back and stuffed the bottom end of the lamp neck through the handle loops. Used a little florists wire to hold it in place...(no duct tape though :^)

o

How about zip ties, hose clamps and a C-clamp?

Seems to me, you can fix almost anything with zip ties and hose clamps.

Now, the C-clamp would be the part to juryrig it to. ;)

Moni

o

You could take a piece of thick wood for the base and drill a hole to put the end in or drill a hole in the table or where ever you are going to use the light at.
Joy__G___ in Ne.

o

hi,
well I know I can do it but can I tell you how to do it ??lol that is the hard part.
well i,m not sure about attaching to the desk because i can,t see the desk?? but to the wall next to the desk is an easy one.
do you know what "conduit clip" or conduit strap is that is the little c shaped clip you see metal electric pipe attached to walls with , they attach with 2 screws, and come in all sizes and are at most 25cents a pc.
if you don,t know what one is go to the hardware store and ask them ?? and take 2 and place at last 6 ,8 in of flex shaft and find the stud in wall and attach vertically then bend shaft around to light area. if the shaft is a little smaller than the clip (1/2in)use a pc of rubber, paper , cut up pop can ???cardboard , to fill the gap before attaching .
if the desk can be screwed into this would attach it at the back on the side and you would not even see the clamps ,
but also look around the junk stores alot of this little stuff ends up in their misc. bins. Rick

o

hi,
so did you fix it ??

just did this same thing today on a shop wall worked great .
and if painted would look good anywhere curious

Rick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here