Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Rack/Table?

Posted by Des_Arc_Ya_Ya (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 05 at 20:07

Well, it might be - one of these days! LOL

I gave $5.00 years ago for this wood rack. We used it several years for its' intended purpose - holding firewood! No longer use our woodburning furnace and I just hate to get rid of the rack! Have been thinking about powerwashing and painting it and then having a piece of glass cut for the top.

Have a front window in my livingroom that I think it would look nice in front of - what do you think?

The rack is 39 inches long as it is and about 24 inches wide. How big a piece of glass would I need and how expensive do you guys think it would be?

Image hosted by TinyPic.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Rack/Table?

Well I see a seat. Painted black with a simple wooden bench seat across the middle. Cool tapestry pillow. A table sounds neat also.

o

That would make a cool table! I'd do a narrow piece of glass that just overhangs the iron on all the sides. Probably cost you about $25. for a thick piece with smooth beveled edges. Would be cheaper just to get a nice piece of wood cut, but I do think I'd like the glass top better. Too bad that old treadle you posted the other day isn't big enough to make a top (although you could frame it out and use it anyway)? Post a picture when you finish it, ok?

o

Depends if you go 1/4" or 1/2" plate glass. 1/2" will cost a lot more, but would be oh-so-sturdy (and quite heavy).

I think a table would be lovely, especially if you put an artfully arragned something-or-other underneath at the very bottom - perhaps a bundle of gnarled twigs or a twisty vine or some such thing.

o

I think it would make a great table! I love the shape and would never have thought of using that for a table. I like the glass idea but it should be a thick piece. You could also use a piece of granite or marble but that would be pretty costly unless you were lucky enough to find a scrap somewhere. Or even some other kind of stone??? If you have a granite or marble quary near sometimes you can pick up pieces cheap. It wouldn't even have to be a rectangular piece. Maybe even something with edges broken off in an irregular shape. How about a piece of 3/4 in. plyboard,sanded and painted with a faux marble or granite finish? I have done a faux granite finish on 2 dresser tops over the years and everyone who saw them thought it was the real thing.You might even put some type of tile on the board or mosaic it. Lots of possibilities............Lillie

o

Wow that rack is awesome! I love it. You've got a couple of great ideas already. Another idea would be to use plywood and mosaic the top. Your treadle (from your other post) could be set on the bottom to create a shelf.

Joyce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here