Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can you 'rust' chrome???

Posted by ess1 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 05 at 18:45

I have some chrome or shinny silver metal door knobs I want to use on shabby projects. shinny silver won't do! How can I rust them or will I have to resort to painting them??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can you 'rust' chrome???

Paint.

"Rusting" chrome involves removing the chrome, which releases some toxic waste.

o

I think if you hand sanded it with a rough grit, say 80 or 100, it will soon rust by itself. Spraying with water once a day would certainly speed up the process.

o

it partly depends on what they actually are- chrome, chromed plastic, or stainless steel... stainless will indeed rust if you encourage it (220 grit is fine, anything rougher will leave visible gouges. I'm a BIG fan of the scrubby sanding pads, by the way!)

there are spray paints out there that mimic other finishes- bronze, copper, i'll bet Rustoleum even makes a rust-colored textured paint.

again, give is a 'scuff' sanding to assure adhesion (never, ever 'expect' that something will get only minimal handling. it never works that way)

o

I'd try some fine sand paper and then spray with a strong salt water solution.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here