Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Open to suggestions,,,

Posted by ohiopond4me (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 08 at 18:25

Ok, everyone here is the deal, I love using what I can, but I am stuck on this one, so am looking for some help,,,in my kitchen on a wall where I have some bottom cabints, countertop an my microwave sets on counter, I am trying to find a shelf to hang between ceiling and backsplash, my space is 54 inches long and about 18 inches tall, my kithcen is done in country primitives, I like old "junk", I kind of want something I can hang pots pans an maybe some baskets on, I was hopin maybe someone had made something like this, or could help me design something,,I am open to anything, let me know ,,,steph

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Open to suggestions,,,

Old trellis, crib rail (Side of a crib)
A crib rail works great for hanging stuff on. S hooks bought at the hardware store fit nicely on the rails.

o

I like to see an old tool box with handle turned sideways and used for a shelf, putting the actual bottom of the box against the wall. This gives you a top shelf, an "inside the box" shelf and the handle to hang things from. Follow the link to see a photo of the type of box I'm referring to. Just an idea!
Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Tool box picture

o

You could also find or construct a ladder to use as shelving...

o

Someone even used an old window hung from the ceiling to hang pots/pans from,I think I saw it on Roboladys site, on the window section. I bought an old ladder to hang for pots and pans, but then the DH bought me a wrought iron pot rack at a yard sale,so I hung it instead,and ladder will go in Western/TV Cowboy/Old Toys-themed laundry room.
I really love the idea of the crib rail...you see those all the time on the curb..you could cut it down to any size you need.
Ask around on your Freecycle.

o

How about an old garden gate or an old sled. The garden gate would be see-thru from the bottom and the wires that form the gate would be perfect to hang things from. The sled would make a great rustic shelf and the runners would also be great for hanging things off of. Or how about an old shutter, you could add hooks and "S" hooks from the bottom. Let us see whatcha do!! blessings-sherri

o

I guess i wasnt very specific, I actually want to hang this on the wall, my ceilings are low, so dont have the room for a pot rack from ceiling, I would love one, but just no room,,,but I do appreciate all the ideas,,thanks steph

o

The meat rack from an old butcher shop would be cool....some of them (even the reproductions) are quite beautiful!

o

How "country primitive" do you want to go? How about those tin chicken coops? I'm not sure how tall these would be though. It would be kinda cool to have the bins that you could put stuff inside. If the top of the coops were not wide enough for the shelf you want, attach the coops to a piece of old wood to make a wider shelf. Perhaps you could put S hooks through the tin to hang pots?
Vickie

o

A friend of mine used an old tool box to store towels in in her bathroom where space was limited. She too decorates in primitive. If you email me I can send you a picture of what the toolbox looks like. She added a shelf inside and mounted it on the wall. You can hang it so you lift the door from the bottom up or the top down. You can use the very top for a shelf and then the inside for more storage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here