Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Someone please tell me what this is (see picture)

Posted by redfeatherbutt (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 17:56

I found it in an old box of china. It measures 3 3/4" diameter. If it's not a treasure it will soon be trash. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Someone please tell me what this is (see picture)

You put it in the bottom of a flower bowl, poke the flower stems thru the holes when making an arrangement. It's called a "frog".

o

No it's for the bottom of a sponge or powder bowl.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower frog

o

I thought it was a flower frog too. But the holes are only about 1/8". That would be some tiny stems and really limit the kinds of flowers someone could use. Besides it's not very concave or very tall. The flowers just fall over and fall out. (I've tried) Most flower frogs are more rounded and have larger holes. I searched Google Images for flower frogs, sponge bowls, & powder bowls and have found nothing resembling this. Anyother ideas? Anyone?

o

It looks like it wants to be the top of a suncatcher or windchime :) Please don't let it be trash, it can find a home with me :)

o

I found the answer from a place called, "Dishes from the Past". It is an insert for a round butter dish. You put that in the dish, then the butter on top of it and the moisture can drain out of the butter. Now we know!!!!

o

It looks like a strainer piece for the interior of a Chinese tea server. There is a small canister, then your round piece sets on it and then a lid fits onto the top of that. The tea steeps inside, you remove the lid and pour tea through your round 'strainer' and then replace the lid. Think of a teapot without the handle and spout. Tea was sometimes served closer to room temp, in such containers. Hot teas are served in pots with handles and spouts. -Sprout

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here