Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did you ever have a trash to treasure sale ?

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 07 at 16:36

Long ago --- I can't even remember where I've seen it on the web .... some lady scavenged all year and had a Once a Year T to T sale .... she had people lining up for her stuff (outrageously priced in my opinion ) . I'm sure it depends where she lived because she got the money. The look of her stuff that I saw was very nice - but to us that know how to jazz stuff up - it wasn't that hard to do ! I'm dying to do just that ... (only on a smaller scale - AND CHEAPER Scale ! LOL ) Have you sold T to T items ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did you ever have a trash to treasure sale ?

Have sold a few when I had a booth at a local flea market/antique mall. Have always thought it would be neat to hold one or two big sales a year, really advertise them, etc. In answer to your question - no, I've never had a sale just involving T to T items! LOL

o

Is this the lady?

Here is a link that might be useful: Margo's Barn Sale

o

YES !!!!!! I think that's her !!!! Thanks for remebering that site - I'm dying to look back over it !!

o

No problem. I check that site out very often myself. I only wish I had more time to work on the fun stuff instead of just working! :)

Cindy

o

I check Margo's site often. She is so generous to share all her ideas for free!

o

If you were within a 100-mile radius of me, I would SO be there! Your prices are very fair. I think the idea of a free gift to people from the forums, blog etc. is a really nice idea. I wish you luck on your sale!

o

That's a great idea !!! Discounts !! What I did once ( when I Was doing craft fairs regularly ) Was give a coupon with every purcahse for 20% off any item at my next fair !)
It was such a good idea ... not many people took advantage of it - but hey - I offered !!

Those pre-barn sales pics are awesome. Now wait -- is this the Margo that I originally asked about ? I'm confused. I also said prices were outrageous ( from what I remembered ) I have a feeling I'll be pulling my foot out of my mouth soon ~ LOL Set me straight !

o

toomuchglass, I think you originally had me confused with someone else.
This is my First Sale and I'm a bit nervous.

o

The first site that was posted was Margo's - then you posted your preview site - the same place . Were you just using hers as an example ? I'm STILL confused ! LOL

o

I Am Margo, but I'm not the person you described in your first post.
"Long ago --- I can't even remember where I've seen it on the web .... some lady scavenged all year and had a Once a Year T to T sale .... she had people lining up for her stuff... "

That can't be me because I've only been at this since January. I think you were thinking of someone else. That site is mine and robolady and Margo are one in the same.

o

OLd age is starting to set in ......... Anyway - I wish I was there to see it ! Good luck :)

o

My friend and I had our first sale in June, it was a garden-themed show and sale set in her garden with vintage and recycled things we made. We were absolutely floored within 30 minutes of opening at the response and sold almost everything in 2 days. We had people coming up to meet us and tell us what a great idea and that they were going to make sure they come early next year since most things were one of a kind. Already blasting ahead with new stuff for next year, now we know what to expect!!

Sandy

o

Hey Sandy: How did you advertise your sale? as a garage sale? I'm thinking of trying the same thing when our neighborhood has their yearly sales but I'm afraid everyone will be looking for cheap garage-sale type stuff (like we do!!:) and won't want to spend as if it were a craft sale or show&sale. Any advise to us newbies? thanks!

o

I'm wondering if you're thinking of "Gioni" over on the HGTV forums-- she has a big t-to-t sale in Ohio (near Cleveland) each year. I understand she just was interviewed in that local region on TV this week talking about her T-to-T projects...

I don't THINK she has a web site, though. I've just seen individual photos of the stuff she's done.

--Jenn

o

Garden-potter...we made up fliers that explained what we were doing and who we are and mailed or E-mailed to friends, also ran an ad under garage sales but made sure Garden Show and Sale were real BIG in addition we had several signs on nearby streets. Alot of people came from the ad, the true garage salers were out of there in 2 minutes! Lastly we had everything marked with tags we made on the computer, with a sentence or two of info and a little humor and whimsy thrown in. Surprisingly, everyone loved the tags especially people buying for gifts! My feelings were, we had to set ourselves at the level we wanted people to see us at!

Sandy

o

Terrific advice Sandy! Thanks! I'm also anxious to here how Robolady's Barn Sale goes next month! She does terrific stuff and this is her first sale - Good Luck Margo!

o

Now I 'm really hyped to do this ..... Thanks for your info !

o

My friend and I spent ALL day Friday at a huge sale and filled her SUV with stuff for next years sale. Great bargans and lots of different things, we are still so hyped and actually have had people still contacting us for things they wish they bought then or want for gifts now! BTY we also had an E-mail address on everything and had quite afew people contact us that way! GO FOR IT!!!!!

Sandy

o

((((SANDY))) Thanks for the info - this is a great inspiration. All the best to everyone having one or planning one.... I think this is a great way for the T2Ters to get our stuff out there in the marketplace w/out paying commission/table fees... (if possible)

o

I do this on a small scale. I love working on all sorts of projects, from furniture to funky clothing/purses, etc. But my apartment is too stuffed as it is.

Every year there is a neighborhood wide yard sale on a Saturday in May, and I haul a ton of stuff out to get rid of it. My prices are stupid low -- because I really want to get rid of stuff. I get the fun of finding things, doing something with them -- then I don't have to live with them!

I just wish, wish, wish I had some storage/work space. It keeps me from working on larger pieces of furniture. And this neighborhood is sooooo obliging about throwing out near perfect pieces....

One question I have, for those who've done this often; how do you handle taxes? An attorney friend told me that you don't have to declare income from yard/garage sales because the assumption is that you are selling at a fairly significant loss, but when you pay little or nothing for the raw elements, and sell at a reasonable profit -- do you declare the income?

Best of luck with your sale, Margo -- and I hope you have many more in the future!

o

I about fell out of my chair, when I saw all the things for the sale.
I have so many of the same type of things in my storage units.
I've been collecting for a number of years and never have gotten to the point of doing any of my plans.
I just never had the where withall to put things together..geez, I must really have a small fortune that I'm paying storage on...
that's frustrating..for sure.

thankyou so much for posting the website..now, maybe I can have an idea of where to begin and get some of them out of the doggone storage unit.

Becky

o
Found it!!!!!

Thanks Sandy!

o

I visit Margo's website very often and drool on my keyboard.
Lots of good advise here.
Good luck to you all!

o

Can anyone give me their opinion of what trash-to-treasures items should be priced? If it's something that just needs washing, I would think less. If it's paint, then more.

I have some older pieces of furniture that are in good shape, and don't want to give them away, but want to get rid of them. One item is a round three-tier tea table.

Lots of dishes in good shape, along with tchotkes, and bedding~no sheets, but pillows, bedskirts, and comforters/duvets. I have everything in boxes, color co-ordinated. TIA

o

Just to clarify, Are you having a garage sale or are you creating T2T? Are you actually making something with your vintage items? Or just selling them as is....

Hopefully someone can help you.... I have begun to price mine... but usually search local shows and price them competitively...

o

Njtomboy, I was actually thinking of opening a small home decor thrift store since I have so much stuff. The T2T sounded interesting, and I wouldn't have overhead. I'm not actually turning any trash into treasures, just want to sell what I have. Is this type of sale held once a year or more? How about at Christmas~if you have items that look new enough to be a gift?

I search out thrift stores, antique sales, and fleamarkets, and have acquired quite a bit of stuff with the intention of opening a store~I won't take consignment, unless it's something unique. As for pricing, if *I* pay a $1 for something, by intent was to charge $2. I'm not out to make a million bucks, just want to fill up my time since i'm retired. I'm also a real animal lover, and have though of donating 10% of the profits to a shelter of my choice.

After you price your things, are you having a T2T sale? Yes, I wish someone would give us more ideas on this. Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here