Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stencils and glass paint...

Posted by trailrunner (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 17, 06 at 16:01

I got a bunch of great ideas from several of you about the windows that I aquired. Now since I have no talent for drawing I decided that stencils are the way to go. I am stumped as to how to find good ones . Also what brand/web site do you suggest for the glass paints. Thanks in advance. Caroline

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stencils and glass paint...

Hi Caroline, I use Folk Art or Americana Enamel Paints on glass. Check out one of Donna Dewberry's One-Stroke Painting on Glass books at Michael's or Joann's or other craft store in your area. She even has a book out using the adhesive stencils (see below). There is a Folk Art "glass medium" you can use if you are using acrylic paints (which don't stick to glass as well as enamel paints). You paint the medium on the glass first, let it dry, then use the acrylic paints. With enamel paints also, you don't have to worry about sealing the paint (especially on a window).

Also, may I suggest that you check out the "Plaid Brand" adhesive stencils (check on Donna Dewberry's website or on "Plaid Paints." They are fantastic on glass and other objects (I've used them on wood - cut out Xmas words and made my own stencils, using different fonts on my computer and printing them out, then laying it over the adhesive stencil and cutting with a exacto knife.

One tip I've learned about the adhesive stencils or masking tape is to lift it off very gently when the paint is about ready to dry so you don't "rip" the paint up with the stencil.

Load your brush good with paint, a window I painted I had to let the first coats dry then go over it in the same color to make it brighter and not so streaky sometimes.

Another tip I've learned is "rubbing alcohol" will take acrylic or enamel paint off if you don't like what you painted. Use a cotton ball or something similar (a Q-tip in tight places). Happy glass painting.

Sal

o

Thank you Sal. Lots of helpful hints. I have never been in a craft store so will have to see what town near us has one. We don't have one here where I live. Are you saying then that enamel paint is the best way to go ? Which paint looks most like stained glass ? Have you used the liquid lead to make an outline and then filled in w/ paint? I htink that is what I want to try also. Thanks again, Caroline

o

I guess it depends on what you are painting - something going indoors or outdoors. For a stained glass look, try 'Gallery Glass' paints. There is another post just a few down from this one and has a pic of a very nice window done with Gallery Glass paints - the leading comes with it -in peel off strips or as you say the liquid lead. I've never used Gallery Glass. Here is a pic of a window I painted with enamel paints - it is hung on a wall inside my home.

Sal

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted Window

o

I found a great deal on Gallery glass paint. I don't think they carry the redi-lead, but I love the large bottles of paint.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery Glass Paint

o

I cannot successfully stencil on glass. I am using Liquitex Glossies (enamel) on wineglasses and when I remove the stencil, the paint comes with it.

Am I waiting too long to remove the stencil? Should the paint be wetter when I try and remove the stencil.

Help! Incredibly frustrating.

o

Here are some simple paintings I saw at the flea market...
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I bought the redi-strips of leading but never used them. They are straight & harsh looking! the liquid leading works much better. I taped stencil to back of glass & worked on front. That would work on a window but not a glass or other things.With the Gallery glass I just leaded in 1st & added the colors inside. Some I did on the sheets of acrylic or whatever it is,came with kit & then peeled off & put on mom's window between garage & patio. It's held up well! When using Enamel paints on glass I always clean window with alcohol & then take care not to touch it as oil in fingers comes off on glass.Paint won't stick to oil! Good Luck! Jan

o

I did this glass over front doors with folk art paint and stencil, it's on for years now.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

I love your painting on glass. Here is what I did with Gallery Glass paints and leading strips...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Beautiful!

o

Hello Oceanna,

If you see this can you tell me if you sealed the windows. If so, what did you use. How do you clean them?
Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here