Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BEST yard sale/flea market/thrift store finds!?!

Posted by klseiverd (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 15:25

I am admitted YS/FM/TS junkie! Go into serious withdrawl when the "season" for outdoor things is over and have to rely on thrift stores for a fix. I'm NOT into knick knacky stuff. Always on lookout for items (mostly kitchen) that I'm not willing to pay full price for. Often find things that I've seen on TV... obviously not great or owner would be keeping them. A few years back, we were bombarded with commercials for that pasta pot with the holes in the lid... guess for cooks who can't manage a collander?? They were everywhere at yard sales the following summer.

I have made some GREAT finds that I'd like to share.

Found a prisitine LeCrueset grill pan at Good Will... cast iron interior & perfect blue enamel exterior... $5... something like $100 at their site. Also at GW, a Cuisinart ice cream maker... $5... think they didn't know how to put it together... about $70 value.

At another thrift shop, found a KitchenAid hand mixer... still in box and beaters/dough hooks still in plastic. Sticker on box from Kohls said $69.99... I paid $5.

Cuisinart food processor with all blades... $8. Already had one. Bought it thinking, extra bowl. Ended up it was a step up from the basic model I had... slightly biger and definitely more powerful.

A few gidget-gadgets that I'm glad I didn't actually buy in a store. EX: Salad shooter (deluxe model with 5-6 different blades)... for $2-3 a good deal, but not a keeper. Bought a bread machine for a few $, cuz it looked like it had never been used and came with all the paperwork in the box. When I got bored with it, donated to thrift store for someone else to try.

Bought a mini version of a Tupperware container for $.50. Have a friend who collects them. SOmething rattled inside... bracelet and earrings... "silver & amber". Sell said... keep them. When I tried to clean them up, discovered a silver mark on them. Ended up they were REALLY silver and amber after all.

What great pre-owned finds have you made?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BEST yard sale/flea market/thrift store finds!?!

I never seem to find great stuff. I got 2 snowcone machines at the GW for $5 each - new in the box. I use them sooo much .Nothing really exciting or valuable like you ! (But I'll keep looking )

o

Got 12 place settings of Mikasa dishes, including serving pieces and S&P, creamer, etc for $65.00 at GW. Came home and looked online - 5 pc (dinner, salad plate, soup bowl coffee cup and saucer) are $49.99 - and I got 12 settings, plus serving pieces. Salt and pepper are $29.99 online, and they still had stickers on the bottom. Never used!!! Best part is, I had just remodeled my kitchen and they matched perfectly.

o

I bought a beautiful (slightly used) Beverly Feldman purse for $20.00. I did a google on it, and found the smaller version for $500. I love it!

o

Hmmm...I could write up a HUGE list, I love my area thrift store.

The best deals for this summer though...

Pottery Barn decor for $1 each that I found in the catalog from the winter for no less than $50 each.

A set of LeCrueset cookware still in the box for $25.

A box of what the seller called junk...that ended up having an almost complete set of antique french flatware, several great ironstone pieces (my first ones - yay!), and more great antique and vintage kitchen wares than one could possibly hope for - for the bargain price of $5. OMG...I almost felt bad when I got home and researched what I bought. But I had to remind myself - one man's trash is another man's treasure...and this was a treasure for sure in my world.

o

So many things, but my two favorite finds- vintage marble lamp made huge again by shabby chic for $5 at a flea market (girl just gettin' rid of grandma's junk- had no idea what she had)
- coffee table made out of a hatchcover from an old ship - awesome nautical decor find, esp. cool since we live near the ocean - heavy, substantial, under $15...again, the guy had no idea what it even was.

o

Like you all, I have found some wonderful things, but.... my greatest find. A 1920's gold enameled locket with a fancy chain ---- with my initial on it. This was 25 years ago and I never take it off. Every time I walk into a jewelry store they offer to buy it.

It was $.25 yes, 25 cents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here