Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need book on refinishing furniture. Anyone know of a good one?

Posted by birdtalker (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 24, 06 at 14:49

I am a real beginner and would like something that explains the dos and don'ts that everyone else takes for granted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need book on refinishing furniture. Anyone know of a good one

Don't know really too much about refinishing furniture but you can get all the books you need to look at for free at the public library. Otherwise, I think Barnes and Noble Book Store has a great selection on whatever you're looking for.

You don't specify what kind of "refinishing" you're doing, or to what kind of "furniture." Can you be more specific.

Sal

o
RE: need book on refinishing furniture. Anyone know of a good one

already been to the library, I was asking for a recommendation of a really good book title to look for. Frankly, I have a big project, not much time or energy and do not have time to wade through tons of bad books. (I am a full time caregiver and my free time is limited to 5-10 minutes here and there and no time to browse libraries and bookstores((((( Recently I was looking for info on how to frame pictures, the most likely book at the library was about how to make the frame , it spent loads of time on how to miter the corners and what wood to buy and how to sand it, but absolutley none on what methods are used to secure pictures or glass in the frame and none on the various methods of hangers on the frame, how to apply them and which is best for what.
I was hoping some crafter out there would have a favorite book she/he could recommend. you, know, some book they had used and really liked!!!
I am refinishing Cargo brand furniture which is yellow pine, a wood that gets harder and darker with age, it is finished with an oil finish and has been scratched heavily by cats with strong claws. I am getting new cushions and covers, beige colored, and would like to sand out the scratches and then refinish with a tung oil based penetrating oil finish in a semi gloss or satin finish. I need to know about using power sanders. My husband bought me two to use but they have little to no instruction on how to on wood. A lot on hwo to plug them in etc. none on what grit to use. I have already done most of the sanding on the ottoman but do not have an idea how far to take it and with regard to sanding and staining. I put a tung oil finish on the top of the coffee table years ago and need to know it I can sand it off or has it penetrated too deep to re do?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here