Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using aluminum cans question

Posted by kudzukween (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 08 at 13:26

I saw some butterfly mobiles I'd love to make from soft drink or beer cans, just didn't have directions. I'm picturing fishing line with 4 or 5 butterflies on each line.

Also...

I saw bouquets of zinnias made from all the wild colors of drink cans, and again, found no directions. If anyone can tell me how, I'd love to make these, they were very realistic looking. I can see how they cut the different layers and did the petals, just not how to fasten the flowers and leaves to wire.

Thanks everyone in advance...just trying to keep busy here :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using aluminum cans question

Not sure if this helps or not but here is something

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_metal/article/0,2025,DIY_13766_2274159,00.html

o

Thank you,Jutes.. :) that was very helpful,especially the part about using the steel wool to smooth the jagged edges. Now I have an idea about how to make stems for them.
Cherry

o

I tried my hand at making zinnias this morning....

Here is a link that might be useful: aluminum can flowers

o

That's very pretty.
Kathi

o

AHhhh look here. A wonderful sighting. The rare and lovely Mountain Dew Zinnia,
Found in Kudzukweenland, this darling flower has multicolored turned petals and a strong twisted wire stem. These beautiful flowers bloom at the desire and manipulation of their creator in any season.

How many bandaids did your projects take? I did only 3 of the flowers from drink cans and nearly needed a transfusion. I totaled a record 37 tiny knicks, cuts and slices on my fingers, hands, wrists and one elbow. Lets say I am not graceful in the aluminum can cutting skills.

CT

o

LOL....I can't wait til I make one from this black and gold energy drink can. I tell ya, I only got one blister on my finger, but that was from using a lighter to melt the ends of my grandsons shoelaces after he chewed those plastic thingies off (oh,come on, I know some of you have been there! lol) So I got the shoes relaced and finished a flower with no blood loss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here