Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting rid of glossy look? (Pics)

Posted by ladynimue (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 12:05

Hi everyone! In the decorating forum I have a thread posted about turning an old dresser into a sideboard buffet. I used a can of gloss latex that I had from an old project, but I'm not liking how glossy it looks. Is there anything simple I can use to tone down the gloss? Some sort of clear spray maybe? I dread having to paint the whole thing over again.

Here's how it looks now:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The knobs are painted wood, and I've glued on some of my Grandmother's costume jewelry - Do you think the knobs would look better painted black?

Here's the Before:

Thanks very much for you help and ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting rid of glossy look? (Pics)

Love it! It is amazing what paint can do! If you get a can of flat sealer (either spray or actual brush application sealer...spray is easier) it should do the trick. I use it on glass when I need the shine gone for projects and I know it is meant to work on paint as well. It should dull the shine quite a bit.

o

Don't have an answer for you about toning down the gloss, but I wanted to tell you that you did an awesome job on it. Love the added legs and the two tone paint looks great. Hope someone else can assist with an answer to your question. Luvs

o

Wow what a transformation!! I just love what you did to that dresser. I like the idea of using your grandmothers jewelry on the knobs, it gives it a special touch.

o

What did you use on the top of the dresser? That changes the look completely.

o

sarahcorrigan, thanks so much for the info about flat spray sealer. I think I have some cans around but I didn't know they could be used on paint.

And everyone, thanks for the compliments! You've made me feel good about what I did to the dresser :)

Pegtn, I added a left over piece of door surround to the top of the dresser - found it lying about in the garage. Here's a picture of it around an actual doorway:

o

That door surround really changes the look of the dresser. I think it makes it look more substantial.

o

Hi, first off the dresser is beautiful. I did the same thing with a dining room table. The gloss was to much and I toned it down by rubbing/sanding with 400 grit steel wool. It turned out great, it still leaves a shine but not as glossy, more like satin. Try it on a hidden area. Hope this works for you.

o

My that is a beautiful job you did on that dresser! It looks good as is, but Melba's suggestion sounds like what you are looking for.

o

Thanks for the kind words! Some ladies on the decorating forum think I should try distressing/antiquing the dresser a bit - sand it down a little, and add some black glaze to the drawers. I've never done anything like that before, but I'm thinking of trying it. Does anyone have any close up pictures to show me?

Thanks again for your help and opinions! It's great to know I'm on the right track.

o

I can't help you either, but I had to tell you that you did a great job transforming that dresser! And I like the kitty in the before picture. It looks possessed!

o

Your "new buffet" is absolutely stunning. What a great job you did in transforming that old dresser. Gives me an idea for a nightstand I was ready to throw out or give away cause I didn't like the dark wood. Thanks for sharing.

Sal

o

I've been working on sanding down the gloss - whew, my arms are killing me! LOL Really changes the look though!

Thanks to all for the help and compliments :)

o

What an awesome transformation! I love buying old furniture and tranforming it into something fresh and new. I love the idea of adding the legs. Check out the cabinet I painted for my bathroom at the link below. I am very happy with the way it turned out.
Debbie in Florida

Here is a link that might be useful: My Painted Cabinet

o

I nearly forgot to post an update. I sanded it down and glazed the 'tan' paint with black and vice versa.

Here's how it looks now -

Thanks SO much for your help. I especially love how the top turned out and couldn't have done it without the advice.

o

That is absolutely SPECTATCULAR!!!! I was neat after you painted but now it's AMAZING!!!! great job

o

I love it!!!You have go me thinking (which is always a good thing.) Great job!!!

o

You should be so proud of yourself--that turned out totally amazing!

Deb, I loved your cabinet too. Loved all the pics. I've been saving some lace wanting to do some towels, now you've motivated me to get them out and get it done! Your pics are wonderful.

Luvs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here