Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scrabble Tile Jewelry

Posted by kudzukween (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 8:55

Has anyone else been making these? I've seen them online at different sites, so when I saw this Scrabble game at a yard sale for a dollar, I snagged it. Here's some I made for myself and family. A friend gave me a box of beads and findings, so I had the bails,some of the beads are from jewelry bought at yard sales or given to me. I have some teeny tiny eyescrews somewhere I wanted to use, but I forgot where I put them :P I cut out some pieces of rice paper(wow, that stuff is expensive-I got 7 sheets in one pack and 8 in the other..$7 a pack! but it was bought for me so I didn't spend the money for it)...I think I will try tissue paper and wrapping paper, anything should work as long as the back of the paper is blank.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scrabble Tile Jewelry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scrabble Tile Jewelry

Wow that is so cool!
How about a tutorial?

o

I agree with texasfern! We need to have a tutorial. Those are beautiful. Thanks, Marlene

o

Those are gorgeous. I havent seen them finished with the paper. I have seen a couple examples of earrings or bracelets done with these tiles, but there were left as is. I love this idea too. I have been keeping my eyes open for board games.

o

Not to change the subject, but with the scrabble board and leftover tiles you could try this idea I saw in a magazine recently - you use the scrabble board on which to put a photo, or 2 or 3 photos, and then use the tiles around it for names or titles - Like "ann and bob" or "our summer vacation" etc. The picture I saw had several of them in a group hanging on a wall, mostly pics of kids or young kid type themes, which was appropriate. Very cute.

o

I am going to break my games up to sell for folk wanting to use the boards... I need to destash!

ines - i saw that idea.. It looks like a fun project!

o

thanks everyone. This is not my idea, but one I saw in several places on the net.

I've seen the boards from the games cut up for artists trading card collages. The size would be 2.5 x 3.5 for each card,you can look those up if you choose to sell them :)

as far as a tutorial goes....all I can do is tell you how I did it:
You'll need
scrabble tiles
decorative paper(magazine pics,book illustrations,try a photo!) I used rice paper and decorative papers sold for collages
sandpaper
glue
paper
scissors
drill and very small drill bit
a bail and/or jump rings
ribbon or cord
Diamond Glaze or clear spray sealer
(I used clear nail polish and it works great so far)

optional
bead pins
beads
Drill a small hole where you wish to apply your bail or jump ring.Also drill a hole if you want to hang a bead on it.( I drilled through the bottom end) Sand the tile on one side. Cut out a small square of paper a bit larger than the tile. Apply glue to sanded side of tile and apply paper,press down to make sure all edges are glued down and flush. Trim the paper even with the edges. Wait til the glue is dry. Apply a few coats of clear nail polish (or spray with clear, or use Diamond Glaze) letting dry between coats. Fasten the bail on it, and hang from ribbon or cord (or chain)
And there you have a piece of art to hang around your neck:)

I hope that helped, these were really fun to make.

Cherry

o

Love that jewelry but would also be interested in seeing anyone else's jewelry projects using the tiles as is. I have my set of tiles all ready to go but just need some good ideas

o

Love the things you made!
I don't have scrabble tiles but I did get a couple of the placemats last year and have taken them apart. They are bigger tiles....and the other one is round tiles that are about the same size as the Scribble tiles. I was thinking about using fabric and triple thick on my tiles, and doing something similar to what you have done. Last year I did some fabric, backed with felt and used the triple thick and that worked, so it should work on the wood too!

However 'thinking' is the operative word. I either think a lot, and sit at the computer a lot and then get very little done-LOL

o

I bought several of these but I like the beads you've added. I bought mine on Etsy. Very pretty. The ones I have aren't SCRABBLE tiles - they are bigger - approx. 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches with a silver toned bale on the top. It amazes me how creative people are!!!!

o

rice paper is expensive....you might try the 'airy' scrapbook paper or even a napkin that has been taken apart from the lining. Those are nice.

o

You can find them at yard sales, it's a great deal. The rice paper is indeed expensive.... you can use anything really though, from playing cards to paper for your scrabble tile jewelry.

i think they turn out so very cute!

Here is a link that might be useful: scrabble tile jewelry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here