Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished Project! Cat Bed - Pictures!

Posted by Lydia1959 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 05 at 8:14

Thanks for the push, Ya Ya! *S* Got the cat bed finished yesterday. Here is the before trash: a rough wooden drawer, some drapery pole ends ($2.00 at eBay), some glass knobs off an old shelf, some decorative vintage wood pieces I've been saving and a cushion purchased at a garage sale for a quarter.
Image hosted by TinyPic.com
Here is the finished project. The cushion just happened to fit perfectly into this drawer! (The pole in the background is just a dress form I was too lazy to move).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished Project! Cat Bed - Pictures!

that is gorgeous. My cats would fight over it and I'm sure my 112 pound dog would win>>>lol

o

Well, girl, it looks good! I tried making Roxie (my dachshund) a bed out of an old doll bed. She wouldn't get on it. I picked her up, put her on it. She jumped down and I took it to the thrift store! LOL

Somebody's idea of using one of your old t-shirts or a newspaper on it might work to attract your cat to it. I hope so!

o

I love it! I've often day-dreamed about making a dog bed similar to a headboard bench (kind of like a throne for the canine king of the house).

If I ever DO get around to making it, it will look quite strange because I have a corgi so the bed can't be more than a few inches off the ground (long dog, short legs, not good for the back to jump).

The drawer was a great place to start!

o

Rather a royal looking bed for a fine feline.
I tried the kitty bed thing with my fur babies. They absolutely refused anything to do with a bed. I tried the used clothing for the cuhion nope nada ziltch. They continued to drag my worn underwear out of the hamper under the DH's bed and make nests out of them. Panties bras, socks, slips and my best nighties were their main source of bedding materials. Never di break that habit.

o

My cats might like it...if it's new to the house they fight over who would get it. But then they abandon things as soon as a newspaper or bag gets set down. Funny how they prefer the computer keyboard, too!

This bed is adorable tho!

o

I put some catnip under the cushion and even set it in the cat's favorite napping spot. She still won't have anything to do with it. Hmmmpf. Oh well, I will try it on my other cat - she's much easier to please. :-)

Hey Techsupport - I've got a Corgi too (part Corgi anyhow)! I'd give him the bed, but I think he would hang off. He needs a bigger drawer! *S* BTW - Couldn't you just shorten the legs on the headboard and make it lower to the ground? Hope you give it a try - sounds like a neat project!

o

Sorry Techsupport - read your post too quick and misunderstood. Here are a couple links to some dogbeds (or catbeds) with headboards. You may just have to cut yours down a bit to make it look right. Still want to see a picture when you get it done.

http://www.pluscious.com/default.asp?id=16
(oriental look)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog beds with headboards

o

When our cats were still "inside" cats, I put a heating pad on low under the cushion in the cat basket -- works like a champ --- they like the warmth. Our heating pad has a cloth cover --- I stitched up a cover from leftover fabric to cover the heating pad, kept the good flannel one for when a "people" needed to use the heating pad. Setting a lamp on the floor next to the cat bed also works because it generates heat.

o

I put a heating pad on low under the cushion in the cat basket -- works like a champ --- they like the warmth.

Boy, that made me LOL!
Talk about creature comforts and don't cats seem to know what it's all about!Josie

o

Isn't it typical that when I am on the look out for something, I can NEVER find it? I saw so many headboards during June rummaging . . . .now I want to try for a corgi bed and haven't found a thing (or more accurately, haven't found the right price and shape).

Will keep looking for a bed for the corgi . . .

o

Juju decided the bed wasn't so bad afterall!! LOL She won't stay there if you put her there, but she likes it just fine if the decision is up to her. Typical cat!

o

These are charming enough to market! Much better than the ones they sell at the pet store.

o

Forget the cat... I want it!

I'm going to steal your idea but rather than putting a cushion in it... I'll fill it with goodies for house guests and leave it on the bed side table.

(My cat, Harry, would be totally ungrateful if I made it for him.)

o

My cat likes to sleep on the dining room table. She has a bed with a heated blanket in the corner, right under a window, but she prefers the table, for whatever reason I don't know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here