Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ideas for 100 year old door

Posted by mycompost (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 05 at 7:25

We recently remodeled our home and had to remove our original entrance door which was unusually short.
It is a heavy wooden door, about 100 years old, painted on both sides in a chipping, peeling dark forest green. It has a large square glass window in the top half with decorative molding across the bottom of the window on one side. I hate to throw this out. Any ideas out there?
Thanks;
-Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ideas for 100 year old door

Use it as a coffee table? Sounds wonderfully cottage-y!

o

Hmmmm. What about the glass window?

o

Use it as a headboard or lean it against a wall purely for decoration.

o

Well, how about putting a thin sheet of plywood (or something!) underneath the door? Then the area where the window is can be used as a "display" type space on the coffee table. (Paint the plywood to match the color of the door.)

o

Deedlesmom: If I had a twin bed, that would be a great idea. Very clever.
Des: I think I'll give your idea a shot. I never thought of putting support behind the window. This will be VERY interesting. I LIKE it!

o

I'm thinking that even with a little room you could display photos, etc. in that space. Post a photo when you get it done, would ya!?

o

Add to the bottom a stury hinge lidded wooden box with a cushion, put a few hooks for coats or hats, take out one of the pieces of glass and replace with a mirror, there you have an instant hall bench/coat rack with a final look & touch up mirror as you go out the door.

o

Coloredthumb:
WOW! Another really great idea! I LOVE that! OK, now I need to remove a 2nd old door from my house so I can try both des AND your ideas!
Thanks!

o

I've seen coloredthumb's idea and it looked really neat. Don't know why I didn't think of it - I've been brain dead lately - Sorry!

o

I too, have an old carved door and it's just waiting for me, to put a sheet of glass over it, from a sliding door, that matches exactly. It's going to be my craft table, in the family room and I'm in the beginning process of moving back home, so will do that when I get there. both of them are in the house I'm going to, so I don't need to transport them.
Even with the glass of your door, with the glass above it, it's protected. and, in the carved ares, you can set fun things in, for display..like marbles, shells, pictures and whatever fits in the narrow space, between the door and glass....that's my intention, anyway.

Becky~~~

o

What to do with the doorknob? If I remove it, there's a hole. (Plus there's seperate dead bolt harware.)
Hmmm.

o

OK, I hate to but into this great thread, but here's another question on the same lines. I recently got the old inside the house french doors from the old home I grew up in. The doors were probably 60 to 70 years old. they are very tall and have a glass doorknob. One of the window panes was broken out. What can I do with glass french doors? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Alice

o

Glass french doors, room divider, hook them together on the side where they used to be attached to the door frame.

o

Glass french doors, room divider/picture display, hinge them them together (add support legs if needed to steady it upright). Put a matte and pic in each window pane. You could use botanicals or pressed flowers or glass paint each to look like stained glass, or pencil vinettes any thing that you like and fitting your decor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here