Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shutter makeover

Posted by lady_alicia (afinalword@aol.com) on
Thu, Aug 25, 11 at 0:03

I received some shutters from a friend on Freecycle and turned them into a trash can for my bar area. My husband cut a piece of wood for the bottom and placed it a few inches up from the floor so that when the bag rests, it drapes down over around the rim. The shutters were so tall that my 15 gallon bag fell down in. So if you have shorter shutters, you could just let the bag rest on the ground and fold it down over the top.

Before:

beforeShutter

After:

AfterShutter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shutter makeover

Good idea! Great recycling and decorative, too.

Marylee

o

Thanks, Marylee. It looks so nice in the area where I have it. I just love it. It's a little plain compared to what some people do, but it works for my decor! :)

Alicia

o

Very clever, Alicia. Great paint job, too!

o

Great idea. I like how you painted it as well.
Kathy

o

Nice recycling! Looks very classy! Jan

o

Looks great! Reminds me of something I saw at The Container Store.

o

Thanks everyone. I had a lot of fun making it and was thrilled that I actually made something that I can really use. I wanted a bigger trash can by my bar area that wasn't the normal plastic or wood-type garbage can, something a little nicer, so this worked out perfectly. And it's heavy as heck, so it won't get knocked over if we have guests walking around near it.

I did that same rust look paint job on another T2T project and loved it, so why not do it again! :)

Glad everyone likes it. Just thought I'd share it in case anyone needed another makeover idea for their shutters.....

Alicia

o

Wow! I'm impressed and shopping for shutters.

My goal is a ventilated laundry hamper for the car detailing towels, glass cleaning, wax removal and buffing cloths; before and after use storage. I'll need two.

Thanks for sharing!

o

Thanks, Brushworks. The hamper idea is a good one. Maybe if I run across more shutters, I can make one of those! I got these off of a Freecycle member, so they cost me nothing! I have two left over, but the chances of me finding two that match those are slim to none. :) Who knows, though.

Have fun finding some shutters! :)

o

Alicia,

I put 5 calls out there to Siding Installers. :) They are on notice that I am seeking wood shutters that are being replaced with vinyls.

Thanks again for the tip!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here