Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new uses for bowl serving bowls

Posted by lindat (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 21:58

My sister went to an auction. In order to buy the "item" she wanted, she ended up with a stack of lovely bowls. They are of all styles, footed, frosted, pressed glass, ect. Most are the "serving" type, no ceral bowls here. So what else can we do with these? The "smaller" ones, we found worked well as pillar candle holders. But the the big ones have us stumped. We look forward to any ideas for more ueses.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new uses for bowl serving bowls

Without seeing them I am going to suggest bases for totems?

o

Maybe not new uses, but,
A nice look is to place floral foam in the bottom and make fresh or artificial arrangements.

If they are very large drill a hole in the bottom and use as a ceiling light cover.

For the holidays, place battery operated fairy lights in them then pile glass ornaments.

Fancy pet dishes.

When going to a pot luck, use it for your favorite dish, then leave the bowl as a hostess gift.

To hold soaps, TP or hand towels in the bath.

To hold magazines on the coffee table

If new enough, use in place of place of a gift basket.

I always have a large bowl of fresh fruit in the kitchen, it encourages everyone to eat healthy

Thats all for now, hope this sparks even more ideas for you.

o

Hi,

I just found this site while browsing around GW.
I am usually on the Home Decorating forum here at GW.
I've already found wonderful ideas just from reading the first page of T2T!

As for Large bowls/Platters---if you garden, you can drill a small drainage hole in the bottom, glue a terra cotta plant saucer to an upside down candle holder and then put the bowl with plants on top.

I just finished doing this with some Found & GoodWill candle holders. I have some larger mis-matched serving bowls and platters and I've run out of space inside so had to find a way to use them outside.

Once painted, I'll place some of the drilled serving bowls on top of the clay saucers and fill them with pretty colored plants.
A grouping of pretty mis-matched bowls with plants---just an idea.

I haven't gotten around to painting mine yet but here's an example that might help you with your serving bowls.
------------------

These are clay saucers glued to the top of 'pillars' I had stored in the garage rafters.
1929 Porch Pillar w/Silicone used to glue on clay saucers.

These are the Free and Goodwill candle stands, saucers glued on top.

More Iron Candle Stands as Planter Lifts. 50 Cents ea. at Yard Sale. GE II Silicone to secure stand to clay saucer.

o

I have used serving bowls for a bird bath. Just attatched to a vase or some type of base. Used the GE silicone glue and saves on the drilling.(always seems to take forever).
glass birdbath

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here