Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on what to do with this desk!

Posted by todds_sweetpea (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 21:10

I got this beast of a beauty at a thrift store for a steal, and had my DH and his burliest friend move it to my in progress crafting space, which unfortunately is in the basement. (Afterwards they said it will die and be buried there because they are NEVER moving it out!) Its got great character, but I'm torn between wanting to paint/distress it (thinking Annue Sloan chalk paint in Old White or Paris Gray) to make it work better in my dark space, and not wanting to cover the beautiful woodwork. Sanding and restaining it is not an option, way too much work for this DIYer, and as previously mentioned, this piece is not moving.) any thoughts? What would you do with this piece? (Also posted over on the furniture forum.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on what to do with this desk!

I would shudder to cover up that beautiful oak finish on the top surface. If the sides of desk or drawers need refinishing, I'd still go with sand and re-finish. In my humble opinion, it's a crime to cover up natural wood, especially this kind of beautiul oak. A few years ago, my brother and I talked until we were blue to talk my sister in law out of her silly idea to paint her maple early american dining set in colors to reflect mexican colors, i.e. bright blues, reds, orange, green. We were horrified that she thought it was okay to paint natural wood, especially maple, in such colors, and the way she would have done it sounded like a carnival ride. The dentil molding on the edge is wonderful, seems a shame to cover it with other than the original finish, as it reflects the beauty of the wood, as it is. If this is your craft area, I'd advise a glass top, which can be expensive, and leave it as is. Good luck!

o

I agree, shudder to see that destroyed, especially with chalk paint!!!!

o

What a perfect crafting table it makes!
I suggest leaving the top (or lightly refinishing it) as that will be the best work surface. Chalk paint doens't seem like a good work surface to me. But I say go ahead and paint the side drawer parts. Just be care ful not to paint things shut which means a couple of light coats with light sanding in between. Not sure chalk paint is the best choice for this, but then I have never used it.
Kathy

o

Chalk paint won't stick to either an oil-based finish, or poly, so you'd have to scuff-sand it anyhow...and then it will burnish in funny places, and rub off in others, and whether that's 'authentic aging' or 'hot mess' is a roll of the dice.

if it were going to be someplace where is wasn't going to be covered with projects most of the time (it IS going to be a work surface, right?) refinishing the top might be feasible. the pedestals? not so much fun, especially those dentils.

what sort of crafts do you do? are you going to be running a rotary cutter across it? painting? that will give us some idea of what we need to protect it from : )

o

I have a beautiful old desk from the extinct Uniroyal company in Eau Claire, WI. I have not done a single thing to mar it...it's perfect, in my estimation. I store tons of craft and art tools in it, and do all of my projects on it's surface. I agree with the poster who suggested a glass top.

o

It's been a year. What did you do with it?

Here's one I did:

Before:

photo IMG_0217-1.jpg

After:

photo IMG_0863-1.jpg

o

Its beautiful, you did such a nice job..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here