Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me save my brass lamp

Posted by Daisy7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 05 at 21:03

I think it's brass. I bought it eons ago and gave brass price for it. LOL I forget the name but it was very expensive.

Anywho, it has corroded on one side for some reason. Okay, I know the reason - I used to sit my Coke glass by it every night and the sprizzles got to it.

I'd like to clean it up and make it shine again. Does anybody know how I can do this? Steel wool? Barkeepers Friend? Sandpaper? At this point, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me save my brass lamp

I have a brass student lamp and it was stored for five years and was a tarnished mess. I mentioned that I needed to have it recoated to an antique dealer and she told me this shortcut that works. Protect working area with newspapers and an old towel, put on rubber gloves, pour SnowBowl Toilet Cleaner(I never substitute brand) into a glass or plastic bowl and take a small rag dipped in the SnowBowl and generously swipe the lamp. The tarnish will evaporate like magic and if any remains, a good brass cleaner like Brasso will remove. Rinse the Snowbowl off well and lightly polish with Brasso to create a finish. Do not touch the brass with hands. Skin oil starts the corrosion. Polish with a clean soft rag and enjoy your lamp.

o

All I know is that a friend from work used to clean all her brass using a strong solution of unsweetened orange Kool-Aid!

(Now, if it corrodes it even more, I ain't responsible! LOL)

Is that a good enough answer? Will you come back, now, ya hear!?

o

Daisy, check the previous post. Sounds like they had some good ideas.

o

There is a special cleaner/polisher just for brass. I think it's called Brasso. Look in the cleaning products section of your regular grocery store or hardware store.

o

Lemon juice and salt. It's the only tarnish remover I use!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here