Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help painting over ceramic kitchen canisters?

Posted by kittymommy (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 28, 05 at 20:36

I received a set of emerald green canisters that do not match my kitchen colors. They were a gift so I can not return them. I really could use more canisters so I was wondering if I could paint over these? The color of the canisters I currently have is a background the color of parchment paper with purple grapes. Is it possible to paint over emerald green and achieve a lighter color? Also the green canisters have a high gloss finish will this be a problem if painting over? What type(brand)paint would you suggest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help painting over ceramic kitchen canisters?

Folk Art makes an Enamel paint for use on glass..I use it to do one stroke painting on glass..the directions are on the bottle, but basicly after you paint them you put them in the oven for 30 min., let cool over night and they are top rack dishwasher safe..or let the item dry for 21 days and that works same as baking..coverage is good and perhaps you could leave the canisters the color they are now and paint something on them in the colors your now using...take a look at nature..green surrounds all colors and looks good :0)
gardenlady

o

Thanks! I'll look at Hobby Lobby for the Folk Art glass paint. I wish I would have mastered the One Stroke paint technique. I purchased the tapes and templates and never could get the basic stroke down pat. That is a good suggestion to leave them green and just paint something else on them in my colors. The only problem is I really hate this shade of green - I'm REALLY! I'm grateful that someone thought enough of me to get me a gift and I would never let them know that I dislike this shade of green but I don't think I want to look at it every day in my kitchen. I have lighter shades of green in the kitchen(sage)and this emerald just stands out like a sore thumb.

I'll experiment and if it turns out ok I'll post photos.
Thanks for your help!

o

Kittymommy-Delta also makes a paint for glass and ceramic tile that you don't have to bake.It is called CeramDecor.I got it at Hobby Lobby.You apply a surface conditioner then 2 or more coats of the paint,letting each coat dry for 1 hour between coats.Then apply a clear gloss or satin glaze.It is satin finish and is dishwasher safe after it has dried for 10 days.Cleans up with soapy water.......Lillie

o

Thanks! I am headed to Hobby Lobby this afternoon and will look for the products mentioned. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

o

I thought you might have to use fine sandpaper to rough up the surface first. But perhaps those ceramic paints are designed to stick to smooth, glazed surfaces.

o

The ceramic paints are designed to stick to glazed surfaces and glass.I have never had a problem with them sticking and never sanded anything first.I just remembered too that several years ago I painted a ceramic lamp with the faux stone spray paint from Wal-mart.I just followed the instructions in the kit.I have had this lamp for more than 10 years and it still looks just as it did when I first painted it.No flaking,chipping or anything.You might try that if you like the look of the faux stone.........Lillie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here