Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can these be repurposed?

Posted by lauraella (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 7, 10 at 17:49

We have 2 end tables that are 26 years old. Solid oak, sturdy, but blah!

Photobucket

I want to try and reuse them, but I don't like the rounded edges. I am getting ready to redo the family room and put up board and batten paneling. These just don't do it!

Here is the lamp. Also 26 years old. I am thinking about painting black and frosting the glass.

Photobucket

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Toodles,

Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can these be repurposed?

I would paint the table satin black. Let it dry then rough it up a bit and go back over them with a medium colored stain. For the lamp, I would sand lightly, prime and then paint the entire lamp with one of the metallic paints (pewter, oil rubbed bronze, antique bronze, etc.)....glass and all. A new shade and you are good to go!

o

I think 99% of furniture can be repurposed with paint, given a whole new look. Of course, not much you can do about those rounded edges without dealing with some major carpentry.

Myself, I'd paint them a creamy white and then rough the edges up with some sandpaper, same with the lamp....but I don't know your style or decor. Even really bright fun colors work in some homes! There is a very helpful blog called "Better After" which shows dozens of photos of before and afters of salvaged furniture, from antiques to what you have. It is a great blog for ideas if you don't mind paging thru all the posts to check out the pictures. It is mostly photos, not alot of writing, which is good.

Good luck.

o

paint of course OR mosaic tile on top? or other tile?

o

I agree with painting the table (black or a creamy white), but since you hate the rounded corners add a flat square piece of wood to the top first. Your rounded corners are gone and you are able to use the table as a base.

Not sure what I'd do with the lamp. It probably wouldn't cost much to replace the clear glass with some stained glass, then paint the wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here