SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitch_n_kat_gw

(pix) Garage Door Window Panels retire in style

kitch_n_kat
13 years ago

I found these two 8' long windows curbside in a neighborhood of 1960s built homes. The owner replaced his two garage doors and had disassembled the old doors and put them out for pick-up. These were the top horizontal window panels for each garage door .

I originally thought to use them as doors for a 8' tall opening (seen in the photo below) in my former home, but decided instead to use them as free standing/leaning mirrors (simple how-to is below).

They were in my former home's living room (seen partially on the right side in the second photo)...and are now in my bedroom behind a chaise, reflecting the trees outside.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

how to....

I had 8 pieces of 1/8" thick mirror cut and I attached each one directly on top of the original glass inside the frames using mirror mastic from a caulk gun- the glass and wood frames were dirty but in excellent structural condition. I let the glue set-up a couple days with them horizontal and flat then painted with leftover paints I had- a mustard yellow first, then a soft grey on top. I intended to distress them so the yellow and original cream color would show through- but liked the simple gray and stopped there.

Comments (3)

Sponsored