Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
(pix) Garage Door Window Panels retire in style

Posted by kitch_n_kat (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 10 at 17:35

I found these two 8' long windows curbside in a neighborhood of 1960s built homes. The owner replaced his two garage doors and had disassembled the old doors and put them out for pick-up. These were the top horizontal window panels for each garage door .
I originally thought to use them as doors for a 8' tall opening (seen in the photo below) in my former home, but decided instead to use them as free standing/leaning mirrors (simple how-to is below).

They were in my former home's living room (seen partially on the right side in the second photo)...and are now in my bedroom behind a chaise, reflecting the trees outside.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

how to....
I had 8 pieces of 1/8" thick mirror cut and I attached each one directly on top of the original glass inside the frames using mirror mastic from a caulk gun- the glass and wood frames were dirty but in excellent structural condition. I let the glue set-up a couple days with them horizontal and flat then painted with leftover paints I had- a mustard yellow first, then a soft grey on top. I intended to distress them so the yellow and original cream color would show through- but liked the simple gray and stopped there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: (pix) Garage Door Window Panels retire in style

Came out lovely!! Makes your room look larger too! Nice save! Jan

o

Very nice!! I'd never have know what they originally were if you hadn't told us.

BTW - Your entire room is gorgeous as well!

o

Thank you much-

I've enjoyed looking through this forum's past posts...wish it was more active...I've put a halt on bringing stuff home till I begin and finish projects to-be-done....sound familiar? ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here