Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gold picture frame - I want a different color

Posted by ladynimue (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 17:05

Hi everyone! I know nothing about craft painting so I appreciate your help with this.

I found a picture with a gold frame (wood). I want to add black to it, but still have some of the gold show through. What product should I use to do this? I'm guessing it would be something I could rub in, or brush on and rub off, but I don't know what to use.

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gold picture frame - I want a different color

Maybe someone else knows better than I. I have done the same, used watered down craft paint, rubbed on, wiped off. Repeat if not enough black coverage. I guess you could also use a dry brush technique.

o

I've used the same technique SisterSunnie has. It works well, mutes the gold. If you're interested more in having it a solid black and less translucence, with almost "chippy" areas of gold, I'd say rub candle wax fairly heavily on edged areas of the frame, use your craft paint over the whole thing, and then rub away the waxed areas. That works pretty well too.

--Jenn

o

Nice table legs Robolady - I like how you framed them.

I tried using some black stain on the frame last night, but that didn't work. Thanks for the tips on getting the look I want. I must have some black craft paint around here somewhere!

o

This may be too late for you, but there is a product called Rub 'n Buff which is supposed to be good. I haven't tried it yet but plan to when the right project appears. It comes in many metallics, colors, and ebony which looks like black to me.

o

Not too late Luckygal :) I think the kids used all the black craft paint. I'm going to run over to Hobby Lobby tomorrow and I'll see if they have the Rub n Buff (sounds sinfully fun, doesn't it?)

o

I use shoe dye for things like that and have had good luck. It has a nice sheen when it dries. If I want it thicker in some places, I just put it on evenly and then quickly rub out the places that I want more gold to show through. If I want a thinner coat of color all over, I use wax shoe polish and buff it well!

o

Jaybird, that's a good idea... It seems like such a natural choice, shoe polish, but I don't know if I've ever heard anybody else say they used it before for that.

--Jenn

o

Jaybird is right. The wax shoe polish would add color and be able to be buffed to a nice sheen when dry too.

One of the published primative painters always added burnt umber paint to paste car polish to antique her pieces.

Luvs

o

I'm going to try the wax shoe polish tonight and I'll let you all know how it works. I've used it before to freshen up our bathroom cabinets - worked great. If the polish doesn't work then I have some black interior house paint that I'll mix with some water. I never did make it over to the craft store for paint :)

o

The shoe polish didn't work. I ended up using some black interior paint and wiping some of it off. Looks great!

Thanks everyone for all the help and tips!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here