Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making Queen Ann furniture lighter?

Posted by kittymommy (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 30, 05 at 16:23

My mom passed away and I inherited her furniture. The living room and dining room is in the Queen Ann style furniture very much like the one shown on the site below

http://www.furniturefurniture.com/queenannlivingroom.htm

The wood is very dark and all of the current furniture in my home is a light oak. I would really like to use her furniture in various room in my home. I think the chairs would look lovely in small seating area in my bedroom next to my bookshelf and window. I also have a china cabinet in the same dark wood. It seems like I saw someone on one of the home make over shows making dark wood lighter by applying some type of solution that simply made the wood lighter. No sanding and repainting. It was some type of bleach like solution for wood. My questions are ...

Has anyone tried this and can you tell the name of the product?
Did you like the results and was it easy to do?

I am not a decorating diva so please forgive me if this is a dumb question but is it ok to lighten the wood of this style of furniture. Meaning is Queen Ann furniture supose to be in dark wood only? Any help would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making Queen Ann furniture lighter?

Queen Anne is usually a walnut, cherry, or mahogany ... all of them are dark woods. Why do you need to lighten it? There is no rule that says all the wood in a house has to match.

What you saw them using was wood bleach ... and you DO have to sand, then re-varnish the piece.

o

Thanks for responding. The problem is the furniture would have to be combined with other pieces in the same room that are light oak. Hubby hates dark wood and if the furniture can't be changed to a lighter tone he would prefer that I don't keep it. I have to admit that I am not much of a fan of dark woods either. I would just like to keep it for the memories.

o

If, both you and your husband don't like darkwood I would say go ahead and paint it. Queen Anne furniture style looks good light or dark in my opinion.

o

It's a massive mess to sand and bleach this stuff. you are asking for a big headache. And these woods usually 'bleed' so even if you lighten it, it won'te be more than a shade or two, and it's going to gradually turn again. Why don't you slip cover the dining chairs and use a corresponding cloth over the table. Then paint foam board or some other firm board and line the back wall of the china cabinet in the same wall color as you have or the same fabric you use on the table and chairs. That might give you the 'break' you want from all the dark. If not, then you can paint it as suggested above...
as for your liv. room chairs, go ahead and try them in the bedroom and if you don't like them, you can either paint them or take them back out and into the attic until you decide what to do.

I suspect you are not going to be happy with the dark wood in more than a couple of accent pieces over the long haul. And if you paint them, they are not really going to be the pieces you remember. I suspect it's the memories rather than the furniture you can't do away with right now...and that's normal. give it some time. you will find yourself picking out the pieces you really would like to keep and passing the rest on to others who really enjoy it.

o

if they just wiped something on over the existing finish, it was a technique called 'liming' which is basically varnish or poly finish with white pigment in it (this can be customed colorel, by the way. the poly is 'polyshades' by minwax)

if they're 40's vintage- you can do that, or honestly? if you're happy with the fabric? I have had good results with masking the upholstery off, and using Krylon spray paint.

slipcovering them is another option.

if they're real, solid mahogany or walnut or cherry frames (if you turn the chairs over, you should get a sight of the unfinished wood)- get them done professionally, or let them go.

the chinacabinet will be something of a pest, especially if there's glass involved- but the fabric backing will indeed lighten the thing up a good deal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here