Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
60s wagon wheel lights - how can I 'prettify' (disguise) them?

Posted by lceh (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 15, 10 at 16:09

I posted this on the "Home Decorating" forum before I knew this one existed, I think this is the better spot! I have 2 ugly '60s wagon wheel fixtures that I want to convert to more attractive fixtures for the playroom -- preferably something no one would recognize as former-60s-wagon-wheels unless told. I plan to paint them, probably white, but then what? Anyone ever try to redeem one of these things? I've thought of white paint, maybe turning it upside down and hanging something (birds?) from it, or ditching the globes and putting pretty shades on the bulbs. I'd love some advice, or links if anyone's ever seen someone do this before. They do need to continue to use 3 60W bulbs so they give decent light, that's the only requirement.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 60s wagon wheel lights - how can I 'prettify' (disguise) them

Please go to ebay.com and look up wagon wheel lights or lamps. Some of these are worth about $100. each! If the ones you have are worth something take them down and list them on ebay and buy yourself some lighting you like with the money.

o

Alas, these aren't the highly sought-after kind (not real wagon wheels). Ones like these I've seen on EBay are going for around $10. Great idea to check, though!

o

To me a wagon wheel is going to look like a wagon wheel, unless you cover it up. You said it is for your play room; I don't know your theme, but you might consider fabric wrapping the wheel (an umbrella turned upside down) and matching shades.

o

Don't know what your 'theme' is but recently I've seen a lot of places using mason jars as the globes on lights. Is it for a boy or girl's play room or unisex? I'm thinking if its girls, wrap floral garland around them and hang fairies, butterflies, sparkly jewels. If its a boys room, hang super hero figurines or rockets or dinosaurs or whatever they are into. Hmmm, maybe get a fish net and hang from it with starfish and shells in the net. Or kinda make it look like a big jellyfish. I bet if you asked your kids, they'd have lots of ideas :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here