Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Restoring Small Chest

Posted by lpalta (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 16:07

Refinishing Small Chest

I am as old as dirt and this is my first attempt at restoring a small chest of drawers. Below are images of my progress thus far. I only own a little mouse type sander and it can't reach into the hard to reach corners, etc.

Should I try using paint stripper and sand some more?

I love the little wood casters but the hardware is quite rusted. What is best way to clean without hurting the wood? The hole is too large for one of the casters, but that I can fix.

I am missing the handle for one the the small drawers so I plan on using the handle from the top drawer for this drawer and looking for a new handle at a rehab store to replace the top drawer handle.

I have to glue most of the drawers as they are pulling apart.

Lucy
iweararedhat@blogspot.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Restoring Small Chest

its going to be beautiful when u get done. post a pic

o

Lucy, it's a wonderful piece, and is going to be great looking when you get done. Think outside the box when trying to sand difficult places, what can you use to get into those tough corners? Wrap your sand paper in a small block of wood for stability, or use other household items to do the same job, they just need to be strong enough to handle the stress. Use carpenters glue, it's probably what was used originally. The rust on the metal can be removed with sandpaper also, oil lightly after rust is gone. Or paint with rustoleum paint, covering the wheels first. Do you have a wood workers shop in your town? Try googling woodworkers and your city, may get what you need, they may have better suggestions than I do. Good luck it's a great project, and I hope you send us some pics when you're done!

o

I cleaned the handles, sanded the chest some more, using a 3M Dual Angle Sanding sponge and sandpaper, using a few tools for getting into the corners. Any suggestions as to what I use for stain, polyurethane, a combination of both? The chest was originally dark, but I want a lighter stain, something like a ginger?

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for pictures

o

It's going to be very nice!! Like the hardware!! Jan

o

Can't wait to see the finished project!

o

You are doing a wonderful job. I too am eager to seee the finished project. Congratulations on being as old as dirt.
Kathy

o

I just saw one of these on a web site for a store that deals in used items. It's wonderful looking, and appears to be a bit darker than yours. Use what ever stain you like, where do you plan to keep it? Living room, kitchen, outside porch? If outside, you may want to use a spar varnish, which is good, but not if the piece will be in the sun, also, I would hesitate to use polyurethane, as it will scratch easily. It is, after all, a plastic. What kind of wood is this piece? It looks like oak or maple. You don't have to use a stain, I did that with an oak chair I refinished. I liked the natural oak so much, I got a "clear" varnish, and it did add a touch of yellow, but I was real pleased with the result. You could also use an oil rubbed finish, depending on where you plan to use this piece. Hardware looks great. Keep us posted on your progress!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here