Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ideas for redying leather chair?

Posted by andreagb (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 15:43

Apologies for the repost: thought I might find a different group here than on the Home Decor forum.

A friend is selling an old ('70s? early '80s?) Ethan Allen club chair. Some overly poofy pillow-type things on the back but those are easily replaced. What I'm worried about is the leather itself, which EA called "cordovan," but which I'd describe as a rusty orange. If the chair were khaki or espresso, we'd consider it. It's in good shape. Great price. But orange?

So am I kidding myself here in wondering whether I could do something to this myself? or would you advise either reupholstering it or not buying it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ideas for redying leather chair?

You might try the leather oil in the link below. I bought some and used it twice on 2 diferent pair of leather boots which were tan, but ended up a dark rich brown after I'd oiled them. It also covers up any scuffs, scratches or dry areas. Appears to be a permanent color change.

Don't know what color the chair would end up as, but probably a rust brown???

Here is a link that might be useful: Leather Oil

o
RE: ideas for redying leather chair?

Angreagb: Type "leather dying" in your web browser line and hit enter, it gives you several sites on leather dying. One that came up was: "leatherworldtech.com" - has several ways to dye it.

Sal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here