Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting/drilling mirror.....

Posted by patty_cakes (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 15:37

I've been 'gathering' old mirrors(not fancy framed ones) from thrift stores and am going to try to make a mirrored dresser by cutting pieces to fit on drawers/sides. My question is, do I need a special drill bit to drill the holes back for the handles? Also, how difficult is it to use glass cutting tools~this is something i've never done. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting/drilling mirror.....

Cutting glass is tricky . There's no trick or shortcuts - it just takes practice. Before you start - google "how to cut glass" - there's a zillion sites & alot of videos to guide you through it. When I drill small holes in glass , I use a "Diamond hollow core drill" .. it looks like this (click on link ) I have to say your project isn't really a beginner project - but read up on it , practice on scrap window glass & before you know it , you'll be a whiz at it !

Here is a link that might be useful: diamond drill

o
RE: cutting/drilling mirror.....

If you have problems with the diamond hollow core, check out the "Bosch tile and glass bit" I tried the diamond hollow core and had a difficult time controlling it, then found the Bosch bit...and had success- cut like butter. I needed a 7/8" size and orderded it from Granger...but they sell these same type bits in 1/4" to 3/4" sizes at some tile and big box stores...the bit's head is shaped like an arrow head, sorta.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here