Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ideas for cheap headboard

Posted by Arlinn (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 05 at 15:25

Hello All,
Does anyone have any cheap, easy ideas on how to make a headborad for a king size bed? Has anyone fashioned one out of something nifty they recycled? I was thinking of a door, but don't know how to do it and also I haven't come across any cheap ones yet. Thanks for any suggestions.
Arlinn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ideas for cheap headboard

this may help

Here is a link that might be useful: headboard

o

Thank you. That was a helpful link. Don't know why I didn't think of it.

o

The least expensive is probably a painted one...just paint it on wall. Put a frame around it.

What is your theme in the room....you could use a piece of trellis, an architectural feature, screen doors, folding screens.

Or take picture frames and cut wood or heavy cardboard to fit. Pad it and put material over it. Place in frame and hang by wire or just screw to wall.

A big bed can use 2 twin headboards side by side.

o

Yesterday one of my friends told me her daughter put up a wall quilt rack over the bed and added tabs to pillow shams that matched her comforter and hung them from the quilt rack. Sounds very pretty and would be pretty inexpensive.

Nancy

o

How 'bout putting boards on the wall to look like a picket fence? I saw that on TV and thought it looked really neat.

Laurel

o

WE bought a section of picket fence, sanded it, and painted it white. Looks great.

o

I, too, used a picket fence section (from Lowes)

o

I, too, used a picket fence section (from Lowes)

o

Saw a paneled door done on TV. They did decorative painting on it. Gorgeous. I've seen them do picket fences too. The other day they sprayed adhesive to plywood, placed foam on it. Trimmed edge with electric knife and covered with fabric stapling it in back. Usually they leave extra foam around the edge to pull around behind and soften the edges, but they didn't.
jan

o

I'm a regular browser at all our local Salvation Army/Value Village shops. Got really lucky the last time and found a sleigh bed (headboard, footboard and slats)really, really cheap. Just need to paint it now and we will have an absolute find!
Almost always see headboards there - with a little paint or ??? they can be fabulous.

o

Hi!
Mine is a head board made from a baby crib! I found it curbside. The foot and head boards were the same height, so it was easy to paint them up and fasten them side by side to get the length I needed. They are all wood and the price was right! FREE..

o
posting again!

Hi back again..forgot to say..my GF used chairs! This is so cool. She got 5 wood chairs at a garage sale for cheap. Then cut the seats off at the back leaving just the back part where you rest your back and the back legs. Fixed them to the wall and presto, a cool headboard. You can paint them a color of your choice.
Radd

o

Also, check out freecycling in your area on the Yahoo boards. I see people giving away headboards all the time. We got one from a neighbor throwing one out.

o

Keep your eyes peeled on Thrift Stores. I looked for a few weeks and found a king size iron one for $10.00. All I had to do was sand and paint.

Dina

o

I picked a rusty brass headboard out of the trash and painted with a new spray paint to look like hammered copper. I love it!

o

We always have fairly small houses with fairly small master bedrooms. So I always use a hollywood frame with no headboard or footboard to take up precious inches. But, I still wanted a headboard, so ours is made of a piece of plywood, wrapped and stapled with a thrift store blanket for padding, and then I covered it (wrapped it like a present and stapled it on the back facing the wall) with inexpensive faux brown leather from WalMart's fabric department. We've had it for years, and I really like it! It is sandwiched between the wall and the top of the bed, doesn't bonk around, is only 3/4 inch deep, is soft and wipeable, and is nice to lean against unlike say a metal rung-type headboard.

--Katy S.

o

I found some old louvered doors that I used for a headboard for our king sized bed. We added a board in the middle to make it wide enough.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
It's bolted to the wall, and we hung the lamps right on the doors. We had it at our last house and liked it so much...and got so many compliments on it, we brought it with us when we moved.

~Sandy~

o

Well, duh! Why didn't I think of putting a board in the middle!? I have a set of those doors, too. Guess I better drag those suckers out of the shed, hu!? LOL

Thanks for the photo. It looks neat.

o

have you decided on anything?

Here is a link that might be useful: check here!

o

Forgot all about my posting here. All this time later and no, I still haven't decided on something. I must have gotten side tracked with the gardening. I really like the louvered door head board for the king size bed, but the upolstered boards are appealing as well because they look easy enough to make. Plan to have the whole bedroom renovated this spring/summer...whenever our carpenter is available. Thank you all for you great suggestions and the useful links.

o

I had an old piece of woodwork out of an old house that was 7' long that had been in our garage for ages. DH had a few words to mumble as I was working on this idea but he came thru. Painted it the accent color of our bedroom. DH cut it to the length I wanted and hung it about 2 1/2 feet above the bed. It has a top lip on it that is 2" so I put votive candles (about 8) and it looks very romantic and simple. Then I hung a board over that that says "Always kiss me goodnight". We just love it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here