Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staining a table.....

Posted by elysium (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 14:07

Hi all!
I am looking for some advice. My dining room table is too small so I decided I need a new one. But I'm cheap, I like to turn something I can get off Craigslist into something I will adore. See I love a farmhouse table, just hate the price that goes with it, soooo onto Craigslist I venture.

I found a table I am very interested in and in fact I'm buying it this weekend, $60 yes please and thank you. I just hate the finish on it. I want to change the stain to suit me. It looks like a typical Rooms To Go table, but I want to make it look more farmhouse.

I also purchased beautiful windsor chairs off of Craiglist for a steal so I plan to pull together a farmhouse look.

My question is, what do I have to do to this table top to get it to the color I want? Here are the pics of the table and what I am trying to achieve:

Table now:
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r459/Tizzylishes/CIMG19446.jpg

Table I want:
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r459/Tizzylishes/genevafarmhousetable435.jpg

Help me! I'm thinking a good sanding, stain, satin poly. Correct? I also posted this in woodworking, but not sure if many venture there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staining a table.....

I would put on a stripper of some sort (depending on what finish is on it now) maybe a varnish remover or something similiar, that will remove the fishish on it now. I think if you dont remove this surface and only sand, you will most likely not get it all off and your stain might not go on evenly, after that then lightly sand, apply your stain and finish off with poly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here