Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mice in wooden chest of drawers

Posted by wantoretire_did (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 16, 06 at 12:55

I've stored an empty antique solid wooden chest of drawers in a shed for a couple of years, and just discovered that last winter mice made a home in one of the drawers, along with some fiberglass batting, with the resulting odor. Is there any way to get rid of the odor? I haven't tried anything yet, not wanting to make a bad thing worse.

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mice in wooden chest of drawers

How about putting a box of baking soda in the drawers - or sprinkling some of it in each drawer to absorb the odor (like using it in the frig). I'd leave it outside for a few days too. Just thought of this too - kitty litter soaks up odors also.

o

Charcol might be effective as well.

o

I got a wonderful cabinet that had once been a very active mouse house. Mouse urine will stay with stuff for a very long time but you can do a few things. First is a very good scrubbing with bleach.. then totally soak the stuff in a liquid called NATURES MIRACLE... you can get it at most pet shops. It will take 5-6 sessions of wetting it with this stuff and then letting it dry and doing again to get the smell gone. It can be easier just to put in new drawer bottoms !

maddie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here