SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

fabric samples from furniture store

Cleaning a closet yesterday reminded me of the free fabric bits that furniture stores throw away at least twice a year. (Jan/Feb. and June/July.) The manufacturers update their fabric selections at these times and send samples to the stores that sell their products. I know because I used to bring them home when it was my job to cull out the discontinued ones and add the new ones. I still have boxes of them waiting for new inspriations.

They can range in size from a few square inches to almost a square yard. If anyone has any projects they can think of for small pieces of upholstery fabric, ask at a furniture store, preferably a mom & pop store where they take special orders (and someone might care enough to throw them in a box and call you.)

One year I made ornaments with fabric scraps. I noticed these cardboard rings in the trash and had an idea. (You could also do this with a cardboard mailing tube cut into "slices.") I hot-glued christmas-y looking fabric around the rings. Then I got out my old cards and cut pictures that fit the circle opening for one side, pic of the family on the other. 2 pics of family would work, too. Cut to fit, glue together, then use festive cording (like round ribbon) around each side (with hot glue) to hold pics in the middle. A dab of hot glue on top to attach a little ribbon ring for hanging on tree. I made about 25 ornaments for about $5 which I spent on ribbon, cording, and hot glue sticks.

I did have an idea to make little doll quilts but haven't done it yet. Some of the fabrics are not washable, also, being for upholstery.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner