SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

fabric samples from furniture store

Cleaning a closet yesterday reminded me of the free fabric bits that furniture stores throw away at least twice a year. (Jan/Feb. and June/July.) The manufacturers update their fabric selections at these times and send samples to the stores that sell their products. I know because I used to bring them home when it was my job to cull out the discontinued ones and add the new ones. I still have boxes of them waiting for new inspriations.

They can range in size from a few square inches to almost a square yard. If anyone has any projects they can think of for small pieces of upholstery fabric, ask at a furniture store, preferably a mom & pop store where they take special orders (and someone might care enough to throw them in a box and call you.)

One year I made ornaments with fabric scraps. I noticed these cardboard rings in the trash and had an idea. (You could also do this with a cardboard mailing tube cut into "slices.") I hot-glued christmas-y looking fabric around the rings. Then I got out my old cards and cut pictures that fit the circle opening for one side, pic of the family on the other. 2 pics of family would work, too. Cut to fit, glue together, then use festive cording (like round ribbon) around each side (with hot glue) to hold pics in the middle. A dab of hot glue on top to attach a little ribbon ring for hanging on tree. I made about 25 ornaments for about $5 which I spent on ribbon, cording, and hot glue sticks.

I did have an idea to make little doll quilts but haven't done it yet. Some of the fabrics are not washable, also, being for upholstery.

Comments (20)

Sponsored