Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint Silver Plated Items???

Posted by maryjsmc (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 07 at 11:32

I've been trying to get rid of all my silver plate pieces but no one wants them because of the maintenance and more casual lifestyles. So...

What if they are painted? Using them for food could be a problem but a teapot could be used for a floral arrangement.

Has anyone tried this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint Silver Plated Items???

I mosaic on silver plate pieces, some I have painted with Kilz spray paint. Do a search to see how to paint it correctly,but those bring huge big bucks mosaiced. Make nice vanity trays from them,something to hold perfume and jewelry. I polish the piece,then mosaic,and after I grout I spray with a clear sealer to keep it silver and shiny. Would be great gifts with bath soaps( I make bath soaps and salts and fizzies and give them on a tray) or hair brushes and hair accesories. Hope this helps.

o

Luvstocraft does this all the time....I'll bump this and go find her to answer you!

o

Hi Maryjsmc, Kudzukween is right about the mosaic silver plate pieces turning out so pretty and selling for good prices.

I can't mosaic, but I do buy lots of the trays, bowls, teapots etc. and paint roses on them. I try to never paint the really good, heavy weight pieces. Those are worth cleaning and keeping polished IMHO.

I just clean them with soap and water and dry really well, then spray a coat of Kilz primer on, then usually a white or ivory coat of spray paint. Then I use regular acrylic paints to paint on a design. Couple coats of spray on sealer and you have a pretty decorative piece.

You can always set food on a clear glass plate and set it on the painted tray. I love them hung on the wall or displayed on an easel as part of a table vignette too. They make nice dresser or vanity trays too.

I used to find lots of them at the TS for less than $5.00, but now many are priced much higher. Guess whoever does the pricing realized they were being bought up. LOL

If you want to see what some painted ones look like, I can post a couple for you, or you can look for them on the gallery of the Painting forum.

You might also want to look for examples at www.makeminepink.com Hope this helps you.

Luvs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here