Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Ink Mark from Very Old Wood?

Posted by des_arc_ya_ya (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 16, 06 at 10:58

Anybody have a suggestion? My DH made me a coatrack from my grandparent's old porch post and a base from my uncle's old cypress barn. We changed the bottom base/board and the side up has an ink pen mark across the middle. The wood is old untreated, very dry and cracked cypress. What'll take the mark of ink off without changing the look of the wood?

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Ink Mark from Very Old Wood?

Don't know if this will work on wood - but I've read somewhere's to use hairspray on ink on clothing - worth a try.

Sal

o

Rubbing Alchhol. That's why hairspray usually works, because most hairspray has alcohol in it. I would worry about a sticky residue the hairspray might leave on old unfinished wood, though. Rubbing alcohol is your best bet and it dissipates quickly.

Try it on a small spot first. Dip a q-tip in rubbing alcohol, rub just the pen mark and immediately blot with a clean dry cloth. Don't rub with the dry cloth, just blot. Rubbing might cause the wood to get hung up on the fibers in the cloth.

o

IF that stuff dont work try taking that board off and plane the top of it .. it just smimms the top of like 1/100ths.
JD

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here