Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with this?

Posted by angelcute (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 9:57

Any ideas how this old tv cabinet could be used for something else? The wood cabinet is in great condition, so I really do not want to trash. Need some Trash to Treasure ideas...thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with this?

If you meant to post a pic, it didn't show. But if it's the kind of console TV I've had, you have a big wooden box with an opening at the side, or through both sides.

I can imagine one of these full of - whatever you love and want to display - for me it would be seashells, like a "still aquarium." You could install a small light inside to see stuff better, and cover the openings with glass if desired.

I can also picture a good bookshelf in one of these. Or a cabinet with a solid door, lots of room to put "stuff" in there! If you have little kids, it would be easy for them to put bigger toys "away" in there. It would be handy in a shed, garage, (or even in the bottom of a big closet,) for keeping things neater and providing a nice work surface/more storage surface on top.

o

forgot to upload pic earlier..
href="http://s720.photobucket.com/albums/ww206/angelcute2me/?action=view¤t=tv.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket

o

here's the pic again

Photobucket

o

Aha. Obviously a lot taller than I was picturing, but some of the ideas could still apply. But after seeing it, I had another thought. Remove the tv and speakers, install lights on both levels, great place to put potted plants for winter.

o

Remove the TV/speakers add glass doors and pot lights to make a display cabinet for treasures. Or insert a glass box to make an aquarium but for that you'll have to cut-out the sides and the back for light.

Here is a link that might be useful: Interiors by art of Living

o

The Better Homes & Gardens website has a page showing something similar to what you have; it's a lot larger, but maybe you might get some inspiration from it! Go to bhg.com and in the search box type in multi-purpose laundry center.

o

Once the tv is removed, the possibilities are endless. Do you have any need for a small bar? The tv area looks perfect for storing liquor bottles, and the lower half would be great for storing glasses. You might want to find out how to put in the small dadoed slats for hanging stemware, then store things like glass shaker, strainer, shot glasses on a nice tray on top. Good luck. It mostly comes down to what do you want to make of it?

o

That would be cute withan aquarium,I have that same tv

o

I was checking out DVD storage on the Internet and someone had removed the TV tube and used for DVD's. Not sure that is what you had in mind but I thought it was a cute idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here