Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with this mirror

Posted by smasonnc (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 9:36

I bought this mirror that's a bright, gaudy gold. What kind of stain could I use to tone it down? Should I paint it instead?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with this mirror

Watered down black or brown paint might work. It might also look nice with a antique shade of 'rub and buff' on it letting a bit of the brighter gold show through. I'd keep it metallic looking regardless. There are some nice looking metallic spray paints you could try.

It's a beautiful mirror!

o

Watering down the paint may make it too runny and difficult to control....onother option (and there are many) is using a gel stain, "Burnt Umber" is the most used color for antiquing, I think.

If it were mine, I'd experiment with a "dry brush" technique first with paint I had or buy a cheap sample...it would take very little paint. Just barely dip the brush tips in paint, dab brush on paper towel to remove paint, then apply the minimal amount left on brush in a criss-cross or stipple way- rub off what ever you don't like while paint is still wet. You can probably YouTube search "dry brush technique" and see different application how to's. It's fun!

If you don't like what you get from playing around...you can always paint it a sold color....and begin again....

I have a beat-up gilded frame mirror that is antiqued with flat cream paint- it has an french antique look - it was a gift from my mom, an estate sale purchase- just saying that light tones can calm down the shine too.

Your mirror looks nice above that dresser : )

o

link below to answers to this similar question.....

Here is a link that might be useful: link to topic previously discussed

o

Thanks for the answers. I bought Valspar antiquing stain at Lowes and I have some Minwax stain in a walnut color. Would you go with one of those or just craft paint?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here