Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Copper artichoke

Posted by pammadeit (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 21:06

I found a roll of copper at the dump, It was dirty and wrinkled. Cut out leaf shapes and glued onto an old BB with Liquid Nails clear. Torched the tips of the leaves. I almost had to fight a guy at the dump, he wanted it and scoffed that a woman would use a piece of copper. Just smiled and said I have been looking for this and have a use for it. Definately my treasure! Pam
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Copper artichoke

Wow, that is really neat. The ideas seem to be endless for those BB. I have some sheets of copper but haven't done anything with them yet. I wanted to use some for roof's on some of my birdhouses. Thanks for the pic!!!

o

very nice,glad you beat him to it.
Kathi

o

Very clever idea! Thanks for posting!

o

VERY VERY VERY COOL!

wow...

we can't take anything from the dump! and dumpster diving and trash picking is illegal!

o

Suuuuwwwweeeeeet!!

~Sandy~

o

Thanks ya'll, I am really happy with how it turned out. Love copper anything. Pam

o

Great BB Artichoke. Love the ripeness and fullness the torched tips give it. You did good!

Let the guy at the dump eat artichoke!

When will they learn women are not the housfraus of old anymore? Still ladies but much more accomplished.

o

All I can say is LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! And yes I would be yelling that in a good way. Conni

o

No hausfrau here!

There used to be a sign at our dump that said, "No scavenging", I always wanted to take white spray paint and cover the word NO, but someone stole the sign, LOL. The county hasn't bothered to replace it.

Thanks again for all your nice comments. Metal isn't my thing, but I enjoyed it and might try my hand at something else. Pam

o

Fantastic!!! Really a wonderful piece of craftsmanship! You should send a picture into Country Home magazine!

o

Very, very nice. Kudos to you.

o

Your artichoke looks very good, and you have a perfect base for it. I wonder if it will turn green over time, looking even more realistic. Very nice work.

Are you especially fond of artichokes? Most artichokes are grown here in California, so you can attend the Artichoke Festival in May.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artichoke Festival

o

This is absolutely Gorgeous!!! and I want one,......

I am not familiar with rolls of copper.Where does one find this wonderful stuff??? Maybe Michaels???? Also love the post about copper roofs for bird houses..
I am in the process of making a birdhouse village and copper roofs will look great.

Annette in Ga..

o

I just saw rolls of copper at Home Depot in the roofing section.

o

Thanks again for all the wonderful positive comments!

The copper roll I used was not heavy duty like you might use in roofing. It was about 36 gauge. Considered copper tooling foil. Was able to cut with Fiskars kitchen shears without difficulty. The roll I found had paper on the back to peel off. Not sure what it was originally to be used for, but was evident the roll was old because the tack was gone on the adhesive. You could probably use the roofing copper, but think the gauge is heavier, might need to use tin snips to cut it and I don't know how well it would emboss. I used Clear Liquid Nails for hobbies to adhere the leaves to the ball.

The link provided has the best prices on the web for this stuff. Also use it in my stained glass art. Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper tooling foil

o

I LOVE your artichoke. It's gorgeous. I've got an artichoke theme thing going with my fountain and fence finials.

One word of advice...if you're going to leave it out in the elements, the LN will turn brittle. Grrr...I know. I thought I'd found heaven in LN clear, but it DOES NOT like the weather. So keep your gorgeous BB protected. Me, I'd display it right on the dining room table! I have JUST the place for it!!

o

Thanks to all for your kind words. Pesky, I have it in a protected area now. Don't know if I would put a bb on the dr table, lol. Pam

o

WOW! That took some real imagination... it turned out great!

o

I really love it! I want to make one!
Thanks for sharing!!
Di

o

Our dump is closed to the public..you just put your stuff on a conveyor belt that takes it back behind "the walls"...I'd love to take a trip behind those wall...cept I think you'd need a gas mask...

I remember (seems like a hundred years ago..) when I was small of going to the dump with my aunt and uncle or maybe it was my Dad...not sure about that...lol..but the dump part is etched on my mind..I loved it way back then....LOL

patti

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here