Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
singer treadle sewing machine

Posted by jerseygirl82 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 05 at 21:01

I was given an old singer sewing machine from a neighbor and would love to have the cabinet and iron base restored. Any suggestions, or referrals of where i could get this done?? The machine is intact~I will leave it in but don't really mind if it doesn't work~I mainly want to use it for a table or small desk. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: singer treadle sewing machine

Do you not want to do this yourself? If the iron is rusted, you might need to have it sandblast, or you could clean it yourself and use navel jelly. I have had very good luck this way. As for the wood, I would clean it and put tung oil on it. If you don't want to do this yourself, find a furniture restorer in your phone book or ask an antique store owner who they use.

o

I redid the one I have in my living room....it was a veneer that was all tearing off...I peeled it all off and found it was oak underneath. I've since heard that oak used to be a cheap wood and they covered it up with veneers to make it look more expensive. After I got it all peeled off...I sanded it good and stained and waxed it...It still looks old because it has lots of dings and scratches in it...

I use it for a lamp table...

patti

o

What a find! I have two and they bought work. I don't really use them, but I play with them now and then for old time's sake. I think the above suggestions are great. It will look better cleaned up with the dings and all. After you get the rust off you can repaint the black metal and it will be perfect. My mother had my first one sandblasted - wood and all and now the wood if really grainy. Tough lesson to learn. CS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here