Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old jute backed carpet

Posted by truckinncat (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 19, 09 at 20:23

This may sound stupid but here goes:
You know how there are the lawn edgers made from recycled chopped up tires? Why couldn't a person take an old jute backed carpet and flip it over so the jute side is up, cut it into 6 or 8 " wide strips and use as is or for that matter spray paint the jute whatever color you want? Maybe seal it with an exterior clear coat?
I dunno, so I thought I'd throw the question out there and see what y'all thought about it.
Maybe use it around tree bases instead of spending 20 bucks for chopped up tires shaped in a circle!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old jute backed carpet

Not sure how it would take the weather truckinncat. That would be my big question.

o

I knew a man with a large yard who liked to restore old cars & he often had a couple of junkers in back. They had at least an acre. His wife didn't like weeds peeking out from under the old cars so he put carpet backside up all over that area. Anyone getting rid of carpet took it to him. The large pieces worked quite well, we don't get much rain so not much mold but some smaller pieces or narrow pieces would buckle & he'd lay old tools or stones on them. Keeping weeds out of large areas tho, it really did a great job! If you have any allergies the jute might set them off, or GK's with asthma, then not a good thing. Jan

o

I throw old carpets on the (former) end of our veggie garden because we are going to put a car tent over it and put the stuff from the garage in when we tear the garage down. I jumped the gun (believed dh when he said "this year" so its been down for 2 years, works great. We have frost and snow. Hopefully within the neext few years we will do that project cuz the old garage is falling off the foundations! Certain neighbors just can't see me without mentioning it, lol.
kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here