SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbpdl

Need Material Ideas

arbpdl
9 years ago

My old house has non standard floor vents. The metal vent covers that were here were not the old original ones, you know, the pretty metal scroll-y ones. They were the modern vent ones that had been poorly altered to kinda sorta but not really fit. They are rusty and bent up though and when I refinished the wood floors, I never put them back down. They didn't really fit all that well and were quite ugly.

I've gotten used to the vent holes being open, they are narrow and out of the way, but for safety sake I really should cover them. Buying new ones is going to be crazy expensive, especially if I get anything pretty, as they'd all have to be custom ordered/sized. I am trying to diy something.

I thought about the punched sheets you can buy at Lowes, but honestly even those are more than I want to spend, especially considering they'll still need to be cut and then frames built to hold them in place. I'd love something more "scroll" type.

What kind of material could I use for the actual grill portion, that would be pretty enough to suit an 1913 craftsman home? The air coming from them is never hot, only warm, but of course I want something that isn't going to catch fire. They are out of the way so I really don't see them being walked on, but the material should be strong enough so that if the cats or my dog walk across them it will hold, or a child that purposely steps along the wall, you know how kids are.

I love the look of something like this, but this material is pretty thick and while I'm sure the heat would never be enough to melt the rubber, it isn't exactly ideal for a vent grill.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/rubber-leaf-stair-treads/250932

So, any really cheap suggestions for a center "grill" material? I can build a simple frame, but I need to think of a creative solution for the center portion.

Ideas? We're talking about several vents, and they are all non standard size, some are only a couple inches or so inches wide by 24 ish or longer and all are right on the very edge of the floor next to the wall.

I know there's an inexpensive and creative solution, I'm just not thinking of it. :)

Comments (4)

Sponsored