Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turning a dresser into a open shelf piece

Posted by Pamelad1 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 04 at 16:08

I have a small red dresser that the drawers are terrible on. The fronts are all pulled loose and the bottoms of the drawers sag. The "shell" is very sturdy and I would like to find a way to turn it into an open shelf that I could use for storage of either books or photos (in decorative storage boxes). Has anyone done this before? Or does anyone know where I can find an "inspiration" piece to show dh?

Thanks,
Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turning a dresser into a open shelf piece

Here's a link, Pam, though it's not a great pic. Still, it should give your DH an idea. I looked also at DIY, cuz I know I've seen them do the same thing with a dresser, making it a sofa table. Didn't find anything though.

Best,

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Dresser shelves

o

Funny, Pam, that Decorating Cents show with the dresser turned bookcase was just on. It should repeat next Sunday (June 13) if you're interested.

Kate

o

Also check HGTV,i've seen Joan Steffen do something like this also.
Kathi

o

Another idea is to put solid bottoms in the empty drawer spaces, then use baskets inside them. I love this look! I've seen some pieces like that at Pottery Barn.

o

Thanks Kate,
Amazingly enough, I happened to catch that episode right after I posted here. It's almost like the trash to treasure gods were working for me.

Thanks again,
Pam

o

Funny, I was at an antique shop yesterday and the owner had a dresser with the top drawer missing that she found in an ally. She put a shelf in the opening and painted the whole thing a kind of indian red. Said she was just going to use it in the store for display but someone wanted to buy it. Is was very nice looking. I am taking a second look at that ugly dresser in the spare room that my kids carved their names on the top. Post a picture if you do it.

o

I think it would look awesome if you hinged two old, wood framed windows on the front to be used as cabinet doors.

o

At that link Kate sent - they spent $20 at a garage sale for a chest of drawers that was already missing a couple of drawers and then spent another $33 to turn it into a shelf??? YIKES! They should have consulted us first, huh?

Both the two big ones I use in my bedroom cost $15 (from 2 different rummage sales) and are in great condition - no missing drawers and made of real wood!

Here is a link that might be useful: EXPENSIVE shelves!!

o

I made a nightstand into a tv stand by removing the top drawer and replacing it with a piece of wood to make a shelf. I also cut a round hole in the back for cable wires. The vcr fits perfectly in the space where the drawer was. I left the bottom drawer for video tape storage. Painted the whole thing. It looks great and is very functional.

o

i have an old dresser in my bathroom that we took the three bottom drawers out of. in this space i store my towels. in the two remaining top drawers i store facecloths, soap, etc.
my aunt bought on of those old wooden floor model tv's with the tv removed. she painted it, put a shelf in it, placed baskets inside to hold videos, coloring books, etc, and uses it as a tv. stand. i am now on the look out for an old floor model tv. :)

o

I saw an article about putting some of the drawers upside down in the dresser. taking out the inside deviders. I believe it was alternating with drawers being used as a smaller space for small spaces for flat items..I will try to find article.Craftylady_Ma.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here