Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
metal frame swing redo

Posted by lori022 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 15:34

I have a metal frame swing that had canvas seat and back with cushions. My cushions and the canvas rotted and ripped. Has anyone ever tried to put wood slats on instead of replacing the canvas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: metal frame swing redo

I didn't do the replacement to a swing, but I think it's a grand idea. My DH and I re-furbished a tubular steel rocker, and he cut me slats for seat, back and arm rests. We used red wood and it turned out better than we thought. You will have to mark and drill for holes for screws for slats, so take your time and use washers under the wood slats so they don't touch metal to wood. Make your marks with something like a sharpie pen in a cross, so you have a center point for drill bit. Good luck, and thanks for the idea, I have an old swing also.

o

I went on ahead and gave it a try. I turned out really well. I think I may have to get some cushions because it sits you back alittle bit but at least im getting use out of it again. I tried to post a pic but im having trouble doing it.

o

I made the sling and cushions for a swing redo....turned out FANTASTIC!!! Fabricguru.com has really great Sunbrella fabric. I got "Meander"..for the cushions and "Dimone Flame" for the pillows.

photo IMG_6877_zps84330998.jpg

Since this is a trash to treasure site, I don't mind telling you I got the foam couch cushions free off a discarded couch, then with a BIG knife....cut the foam into 4" thickness and used 3M spray glue to glue the edges together......making the cushion without any cost to myself.... the ends velcro in case I ever want to open it up and wash the cover.

I made another neck roll pillow:

200x Neckroll pillows photo 1b07e916-887c-413b-a703-564b19e15530_zpsdccab714.jpg

o

Wow! Looks better than new.

It'll make others an easier search on FabricGuru to put OUTDOOR ACRYLIC in the search box. I will not use the polyester outdoor fabrics. Don't think they last and hold color.

Well done. Enjoy!

o

Thank you! FabricGuru was da bomb!.

I also forgot to mention, I as well used pine wood slating instead of making a sling....they didn't have slings back then....wink....to give a seat to these chairs.

photo IMG_6884_zpsc730c773.jpg

o

They turned out really nice. I think im going to try the cushions next. I finally got a pic to upload now I have to learn how to rotate it.

o

Go for it! You've come this far! :0)

photo msg06153449147440715103729821_zps1c0b1ef9.jpg

o

GReat job. And what a good idea too!
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here