Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repurposing. Got pictures to share?

Posted by justgotabme (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 15:26

I'm curious if anyone here repurposes items. I saw a thread about using something for other than it was intended, but I'm talking about redoing something to make it work for something else.
Like this secretary which was typically used for a writing desk. I'm working on changing it into a computer desk. I've yet to purchase the wood to remake the fold out, but I'm sure you'll get the idea of where I'm going with it.
Secretary befores and plans
What it looks like so far.....
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repurposing. Got pictures to share?

I'm usually over on the garden junk site, but I check T to T out too. Really like what you're doing with the desk...it's looking really nice! Can't wait to see the finished product...it should make a great computer station!

o

Thanks Marlene. I checked out Garden Junk too, but I don't make anything for the garden. Not yet anyway. ;^)

o

Very nice! I love what you've done so far. Your alterations are so well done that it seems to be a lovely refinished antique that was always that way. One could say its purpose hasn't really changed since most of us do our writing on the computer these days.
I'm also a garden junker and I've not repurposed anything inside unless you count sheets and tablecloths as curtains, and old record tables and storage to hold scrapbooks (both are 12x12 inches an unusual size.) Oh I just remembered: I used old wooden drawer dividers from what must have been a huge heavy old wood desk as shelves for spices and tea in my kitchen. I just went to take a pic but my battery is dead. Will try tomorrow.
kathy

o

Thanks so much Kathy. I'll be looking forward to photos of your projects. ~Becky <><

o

Here is a pic of my spice and tea shelf. It is 2 drawer dividers with the ends together. The desk that these came from must have been a monster. Dh added 2 shelves to the right hand one so that it would hold more spices. (It came with only a middle divider/shelf, probably to hold paper originally) We decided not to try to replicate the complicated curve and detail of the original but to just make them plain and unobtrusive. We are very happy with it, its hard to find large shallow shelves. Most spice holders just aren't big enough for the kind of cooking we do!
kathy

Spice shelves made from old drawer dividers

o

Kathy, what a neat spice tea rack! It's perfect too. Brilliant transformation. You're right, that must have been one big desk those dividers came from. Lucky for you to find them.
~Becky <><

o

Love both the ideas shown. You guys did good! LOL

o

Thanks Des. I just finished turning a couple hollow core doors into three floating shelves, but they were new doors. I couldn't find old ones that would have worked with out costing more for my customer. I did find an old panel door I cut in half to make a corner shelf unit for the same customer. I should have it done by the end of the week and will post pictures then.

o

This was an unfinished woodscape mirror headed for the landfill. When I rescued it the mirror was shattered so I removed the mirror and turned it into a chalkboard. I painted it and pieced it back together. It measures 20"x14".

re-purposed mirror

o

kratymom that is so cute!

o

Great save crafty mom!
kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here