Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sources for decorative metal grill pieces

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 30, 09 at 15:02

Im looking for some metal grill pieces (I dont know the proper name for these. ) I see them offered in stores like Hobby Lobby, as "Metal wall art", but cant find the width I need, which is around 6 inches wide. Ideally about 30 inches long, but if they happened to be shorter, and I had several, I could just stack them into a frame or screw them onto wood.

I want to fill in extra space in a wood project, about 6 inches wide by 31 high, and thought some green or bronze patinaed metal would look nice with the dark stained wood. Original color doesnt really matter, I can always paint it.

The nearest architectural salvage place is hours away, so I need either a store or the internet.

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm posting to a few forums since I don't know who might use these in their projects.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sources for decorative metal grill pieces

Go to Junk Revolution and ask there also...

o

Hi, I went to ebay and typed in metal grate in search and got a bunch of things. Here is one of them. If you added 6" to the search you would narrow it to more of what you want, but you might miss some too.
kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal grates on ebay

o

Home Depot has grills (or whatever they are called) in metal thats often used in making those old fashioned heater covers. I can't even think of the name of them right now. Maybe I should just go to bed. At our HoDe they are at the end of one of the lumber aisles next to the window order desk.

o

Thanks. This is more the idea Im looking for, rather than the floor register type grill. This general type of thing, though not 10" wide like this is. Thats part of the problem, if you do a search for metal "grille" or "grill" you get mostly the wrong kind. But those 4 inch ones on Ebay could be a backup.

Here is a link that might be useful: wall grill style

o

Sometimes HL has them on sale cheap. If you have one near you may want to check there...

o

I've been to Hobby Lobby. Nothing rectangular. Seeing all the decorative metal there was where I got the idea. I'm not sure if all their stores carry the same stock: if its worth checking other stores.

o

is there a Ross store in your area? They often carry metal wall art pieces.
You might also check garden departments of HD or Lowe's for trellises and fence pieces that might work.

o

Hey if you are like me I love wrought iron, just found a site I spent an hour just looking a drooling.
King Architectural Metals 1-800-542-2379

o

If you are still looking,I saw something like that at Big
Lots. And it was about $20. It might save you money.

o

You might also try in the garden section of Lowe's. Last year, I got a couple of small trellises for about $2.00 each during their clearance sale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here